• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mono skid question

hereismylife

VIP Member
I was wondering what you 4 stroke guys could tell me about this skid.

I have a 00 sxr and thinking on using a mono skid. Is this really a reliable skid like the one I have on? I do want to update mine but do not want to have problems either.

I was doing some searching here and it looks like there are some problems with this skid not holding up,wheel problems,and transfer bars breaking.

what do you guys think?

thanks joe

If you get an 05 - and it hasn't been updated - make sure you do the updates - honestly I would just stay away from an 05.

The 06 and newers mostly need a stiffer spring if your more than 190 lbs. and ride even somewhat aggressively.

Attachments

• MUISING PICS 104.jpg
    MUISING PICS 104.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 76
I keep hearing bad things about the 05. I have one and ride hard. Hell I've bent the front up a couple of times from landing hard. I have not had a problem with my monoshock.

My dealer says he hasn't seen many problems. I wonder how much of this was due to set up and too much bottoming. I installed the big boy spring within 100 miles.

I would not be afraid of an 05, with the rap they are getting they ought to be cheep!

RedRX - they made over 20 part changes from 05 to 06 - most were structural (not performance related). Big boy spring will help a ton - but not having zerks in the skid anywhere kills the bushings every year if you put on 1500 miles or more.

You can gamble with an 05 or you can have peace of mind with an 06 or newer.

77srxdude said:
RedRX - they made over 20 part changes from 05 to 06 - most were structural (not performance related). Big boy spring will help a ton - but not having zerks in the skid anywhere kills the bushings every year if you put on 1500 miles or more.

You can gamble with an 05 or you can have peace of mind with an 06 or newer.

I too have had no issues with my '05 skid. I didn't put a mile on it before installing the fat boy spring though, and very rarely bottom it.

You absolutely need to tear the '05 skid apart every year and grease it. However, the fix to put grease zirks on the '06's is somehwat lame. The tubing is so thin that they could not thread a grease zirk in, so the are kinda pressed in, and the pull out quite easily leaving you with a big hole.

I did all the updates to mine when I bought it..including the zerks. I didn't, however update the W arm...it broke within the first 50kms...Get an 06 or MAKE SURE you change the W arm (or have it braced). Other then that one problem it's the best ride I've ever had.

thanks for the info...

Thanks guys for the updates on this. I will try to find an 07 mono or second choice 06. Yea I just want a better ride for the trails and some fun play without feeling every bump or dips.

I keep telling myself there gotta be something better then my long travel skid I got now.

Also tell me isn't there an adjustable transfer rod in the mono?

Well If I do find or get this skid where do you get the spring you are talking about?

I only wieght 195-200 pounds if that matters.

If anyone has any other info feel free to post

thanks again Joe :rocks:

I weigh 200 without gear - I had no problem bottoming that skid out on the stiffest setting - even move the collar on the shock to the stiffest point (bigboy spring was on backorder ) - mine crumbled like cake.

Transfer rod is up the bottom middle of the skid.

For those that do take apart their skids to lube them...

Here's a little tip doing industrial nonsense preventive maintenance.
And you don't have to take the assembly apart.

The trick came about late 70's from servicing a fleet of semi trailer doors.
With a pointed steel tipped grease gun adaptor, and drilling a simple hole that fits the tip of the adaptor.
Fit adaptor on grease gun, and placed against the hole drilled.
Test drill something else first. And no raggy holes.

Better still - cordless grease guns.
Now aren't we lucky to be alive.

Happy Trails

OK.... I have to come clean here, I did zirk the he$$ out of my sled. All skid wear points as well as all the front suspension a arm and ski spindle wear points.

The spring is available from Yamaha and it aint cheep!

Philscbx said:
For those that do take apart their skids to lube them...

Here's a little tip doing industrial nonsense preventive maintenance.
And you don't have to take the assembly apart.

The trick came about late 70's from servicing a fleet of semi trailer doors.
With a pointed steel tipped grease gun adaptor, and drilling a simple hole that fits the tip of the adaptor.
Fit adaptor on grease gun, and placed against the hole drilled.
Test drill something else first. And no raggy holes.

Better still - cordless grease guns.
Now aren't we lucky to be alive.

Happy Trails

I would still take my skid apart once a year for inspection. So greasing it while I have it apart is not a big deal to me.

QC - it's not just greasing it - you have to replace all the bushings too and metal collars - all of mine and two buddies were fried in 1500 miles. We all got zerks installed and no problems after that.

That's another 40+ bucks in parts. We'll worth having the zerks installed.

77srxdude said:
QC - it's not just greasing it - you have to replace all the bushings too and metal collars - all of mine and two buddies were fried in 1500 miles. We all got zerks installed and no problems after that.

That's another 40+ bucks in parts. We'll worth having the zerks installed.

I agree with ya's about this. If you only grease it once a year then you will get extra wear then you want. I never had any problems on a skid with zerks installed.

Back