• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mounting a Skid Plate???

Vandelay Industries

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 Nytro XTX
I just got a skid plate for the RX-1 but don't have any hardware to install it.
Does anyone have some good suggestions on what to use so that it is still easily removed for oil changes or better yet, any pictures of what you used to install yours? Thanks

I bought the Yamaha skid plate.
It came with some type of expanding nut.
All metal, they came with a tool used to tighten and crimp them. They are the same as the blind hole nuts used on the tubing to hold your dash in.

Tough rubber Well Nuts may work, but definitely are not as tough. Easy to find at any hardware store though.

You drill a 10mm hole with a depth stop on the bit.
(MUST use the depth stop, keeps you from drilling into the engine.)
Also would suggest using an actual 10mm drill bit, I used a 3/8" (closest I had) and a couple had to be filled around with epoxy to make them tight.

Will look for the manufacturer of the fasteners and see if I can find it.

yamaha sells the hardware kit (replacement ) dor the rx/rs skid plate, Under 20$ if I remember correct

Try $25.95. A little excessive for what you get. I'm looking for another alternative that might hold better. I've heard of Yamaha's hardware letting go over time.

I went to my local fastener store and bought some 1/4-20 well nuts and s/s bolts. Made my own instal tool and it worked great. Total cost about $6

I just installed one last night using the supplied rivnuts. As for the drill bit. The closest I had to a 10mm was a 25/64 which is actually 9.3mm. Made a stopper at 20mm on the bit by wrapping some electrical tape on it. It worked perfect.

Pop the center of pan rivets out with an awl first, It helps keep the bit on center.

I have the oem skidplate and most of mine pulled out . would these rivnuts or wellnuts work ? what size would I need , I did the original with what they gave me

I am pretty sure it is the rivnuts that come with the skid plate when you buy it new. I was able to find some that I think are very close to oem. The outside diameter was 10 mm and it took a 1/4" bolt.

Attachments

• rivnut round.gif
    rivnut round.gif
    23 KB · Views: 124

Back