• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

must stud the sidewinder..?

rtx moose

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder LTX LE,2007 RTX,2000 SRX700
Never thought i would go back to studs but this sled just spins way to much,how can you not stud it?i cannot seem to hook up at all with this much power..I need help on what to do about this guys!??

Never thought i would go back to studs but this sled just spins way to much,how can you not stud it?i cannot seem to hook up at all with this much power..I need help on what to do about this guys!??

Stud it up and be done. IMO I’d go 180 if you have a 129,” and 192 if you have a 137;” that’s 4 per row. That’ll help your spinning problem. I went 1.450” Megabites with my stock Ripsaw 1.25” lug. Lots of guys went much longer than that...but it works well for me. And absolutely no issues hitting anything with that length.

I’m a guy who likes em On the outside(of the rails) too. I went all singles...but there’s a bunch of combo’s. Everybody likes different set ups/things. Bottom line is whatever seems to work for you.

Last edited:
Another option is the iGRIP studs.Great Website,Avaiable from shade tree power sports at $85 per bag of 100 studs.(EBay)

Last edited:
Another option is the iGRIP studs.Great Website,Avaiable from shade tree power sports at $85 per bag of 100 studs.(EBay)
I've used them and they help, but really don't supply near enough grip to realize the potential of these monsters, especially if tuned.
I'm going back to regular-type studs also, for the first time in a very long time.

Put 144, 1.630 triggers up the middle and be done. Good traction, stoping power and most durable stud on the market hands down. IMo 4 per row will kill the steering. That’s a lot of traction in the corner

I haven't studded a sled since 2003 and won't ever again. My SW is a 137 with 1.75" track. Hooks up awesome (Stage 4 EVO tune) when the conditions are good. I pretty much only ride the UP in good conditions during the week. Just IMO... but I think studs only help on lakes or on the trails in marginal conditions.

Put 144, 1.630 triggers up the middle and be done. Good traction, stoping power and most durable stud on the market hands down. IMo 4 per row will kill the steering. That’s a lot of traction in the corner

If you have enough carbide up front, there’s absolutely no issues. If you don’t...then sure your steering will suffer/and Push.

I haven't studded a sled since 2003 and won't ever again. My SW is a 137 with 1.75" track. Hooks up awesome (Stage 4 EVO tune) when the conditions are good. I pretty much only ride the UP in good conditions during the week. Just IMO... but I think studs only help on lakes or on the trails in marginal conditions.
Here in western Nb we get hard pack and ice very often and I would not ride the way I do with our studs just for stopping power cause when I hit that lever I want to slow down not skid and have my #*$&@ in front of me. Need studs in my neck of the woods. Most guys run 2 per bar with 3/8 - 1/2” penetration, at the least one guy runs the screw in studs in the lug but they are not as good as conventional studs imo.

Stud it up and be done. IMO I’d go 180 if you have a 129,” and 192 if you have a 137;” that’s 4 per row. That’ll help your spinning problem. I went 1.450” Megabites with my stock Ripsaw 1.25” lug. Lots of guys went much longer than that...but it works well for me. And absolutely no issues hitting anything with that length.

I’m a guy who likes em On the outside(of the rails) too. I went all singles...but there’s a bunch of combo’s. Everybody likes different set ups/things. Bottom line is whatever seems to work for you.
Great advice wolf,same here,192 all up the middle on all double woody backers and 1.45 goldiggers,no problems,still does not hook hard enough to hall the skis,but I am all set with that.

I’ve never rode a studded sled. I only ride powder and some groomed trails. No lakes or ice really. Would I benefit from studs for traction/stopping? Or do the cons (if any) outweigh the pros?

Btw longtime lurker here much thanks to all you knowledgeable guys like Rockerdan, Clutchmaster, Winterwolf, Knapp, MrSled etc. I have my TD bundle/header/muffler/BOV/antilag/clutch setup ready to install this weekend along with a Rockerdan style teardown (small coolant leak), so I appreciate all the knowledge you guys put on this site.

I studded my stock 137x1.25 after year one with 144 up the center. I can honestly say it made zero difference in track spin or hooking up, just too much power. I mean sure studs help on ice and low/no snow and stuff like that, but if you want to hook up on snow you will need a deeper lug more than you will need studs. I plan on ditching my studded track after this year in favor of a 1.5" rip saw, wish the 1.5 BRP pre studded track would work on our sleds.

My father and I don't run studs, but we have stock Sidewinders. My 129 hooks up great, but his 137 spins like crazy. If I had a 137, I would probably stud it, even though I dislike studs.

Yup, the 129’s transfer much better than the 137’s, thus they hook up better period. Now you add studs to the mix with a 129 and it’s that much better.

Yup, the 129’s transfer much better than the 137’s, thus they hook up better period. Now you add studs to the mix with a 129 and it’s that much better.
well i could not find an 129 for sale or i would of bought one..missed out on the same sled you have by a week(18 rtx le 50th):(

well i could not find an 129 for sale or i would of bought one..missed out on the same sled you have by a week(18 rtx le 50th):(

Oh I hear ya Moose. The 129’s, They’re harder to find. Was just commenting on how they transfer better, which helps in hooking the Beotch up lol. Stud yours up and it’ll help for sure.

Back