• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Must watch..Mike Trapp & Yamaha Win 1971 Eagle River World Championship

Thanks Mr Sled for posting this video! I think the top Yamaha Brass has to watch this a few times and think long and hard of the tradition and history that was created through the years. Then, just then they will start to realize why some of us get bitter as to what is going on! I know, I know, its all about the rate of return! UUGGGG! Long live the History and Tradition of Yamaha, the reason why I became a fan back in 1982.

I love the footage with Bobby’s #9 Phazer in it at the end. I remember following all of the race results during the 80’s in my Dad’s Snow Week subscription. When I was a teen we built an ‘85 Phazer that was basically the twin to Bobby and Tim Bender’s rides, wide front end, much better shock package in the year, with improved stock power under the hood. Non of the guys I went to high school with who rode Indy’s could catch me, and the 600 ish class liquids of the day we’re embarrassed almost every time I lined up with one. Good times.

I love the footage with Bobby’s #9 Phazer in it at the end. I remember following all of the race results during the 80’s in my Dad’s Snow Week subscription. When I was a teen we built an ‘85 Phazer that was basically the twin to Bobby and Tim Bender’s rides, wide front end, much better shock package in the year, with improved stock power under the hood. Non of the guys I went to high school with who rode Indy’s could catch me, and the 600 ish class liquids of the day we’re embarrassed almost every time I lined up with one. Good times.
I think that the Phazer 2, which was a lot like the one that Bobby and Tim raced, was ahead of its time. I always wonder if with Yamaha's motorcycle tech they could have taken the strut suspension to levels to where it could be competitive with todays modern front ends? The two main advantages that come to mind is simplicity and weight! I wonder what one of those phazers would be like with the new venom engine in it?

Awesome video....Thank You for posting it MrSled.

I was in high school at the time and Yamaha's racing exploits caught my attention and I bought my first sled.....1972 SL338C.

That was the first of my countless Yamaha's over the years.

A couple of my favorite pics of Yamaha's glory years of racing when they owned Eagle River.

Ovals or SnoX, it didn't matter.

upload_2020-4-3_18-59-29.png
upload_2020-4-3_19-0-52.png

Last edited:

I was in high school at the time and Yamaha's racing exploits caught my attention and I bought my first sled.....1972 SL338C.

A couple of my favorite pics of Yamaha's glory years of racing when they owned Eagle River.

View attachment 154725View attachment 154726
Those are awesome pictures! Look how clean those Phazer's look? No A arms! You would think this old design would work great in the mountain applications!

Anyone that is interested in Yamaha's vintage race sleds should check out KOCH'S PERFORMANCE, he has restored a lot of the old Yamaha race sleds including the 1971 World Championship sled, he also has done a complete restro on Jim Wergins original Phazer that he raced back in the day. Leon is a great guy and very passionate about vintage Yamaha racing.

Is that an Anniversary Edition jacket that those guys are wearing?

View attachment 154725View attachment 154726
Sweet pics. Bender was HUGE for Yamaha back in the 80's and 90's. Very influential!

Sweet pics. Bender was HUGE for Yamaha back in the 80's and 90's. Very influential!

You are so right 74Nitro. During that era Tim was simply THE MAN on his various Yamaha's.

Here's a couple of pictures that I dug up of Tim Bender on his FIII VMax4....

upload_2020-4-6_17-59-38.png

upload_2020-4-6_18-1-33.png

I would love to have that jacket, guess I’ll have to post in the wanted section to see if anyone would be willing to part with one (men’s large).

Those are awesome pictures! Look how clean those Phazer's look? No A arms! You would think this old design would work great in the mountain applications!

Good point Farmer 73. I'm with you and still think that there is a future for the strut front suspension with no A-arms or trailing arms in the way in deep snow. Just a simple and clean design. Keep it simple and get the job done.

It's hard to believe that Ski Doo still makes a sled with the front strut suspension, their Tundra model...

Tundra.JPG

Check out this old school Phazer carving through the deep stuff...

upload_2020-4-7_21-37-34.png

With some extra time on my hands with everything that's been going on in this world I've been working on bringing an old school Phazer up to todays riding standards as a spring/summer project. There's a lot of untapped potential in that platform I feel.

We'll see how it turns out. :dunno: :hide: :sled1:

Sorry to get so off track on this thread, but I guess we're talking about the old Yamaha days right?

Back