• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need a lot of help on apex!

Glacierrr said:
As kidastra asked is new stator and crank sensor oem? Very important as most aftermarket specs for sensor is off by very little but makes a world of difference! I know from experience. Most likely you can file open the mounting bracket bolt holes for crank sensor and get it a little closer to stator like 3/4 of a millimetre and she'll fire right up. It took me some hair pulling time but I finally opened up and put old sensor back in and measured distance and then new non oem one in and noted the small discrepancy. Little filing and back together and very first click of ignition and good to go!

I've heard up to 2mm of sanding. I was waiting to see if it was oem or not before suggesting this :)

Won't run

Based on your latest comments it sure sounds like your plugs are fouled. These 4 strokes are real sensitive to plug fouling. Your not to touch the throttle until it has run long enough to turn the cold engine indicator off. I would pull one plug to see if it is black and wet. If so your going to need to change all the plugs. Good luck, sounds like your getting real close.

I have a comment to make based on reading many many hours on TY forums... I see many people talking about fouling the plugs on the yamaha four stroke and I have to say that I have had various problems with my sled and have turned a wrench on most every part! But I was not that familiar with plug fouling issue and often started sled in cold conditions and never let it warm up etc etc and have never had a plug fouling issue! When first using the sled I really didn't even notice the light indicating cold temp I am embarrassed to say...

Am I just lucky or is the fouling issue maybe indicative of some other problem...
Just two cents worth for discussion...

They don't have a fouling issue like other engines have, but what everyone is referring to is a "cold foul" condition. It happens if you start your sled briefly and shut if off too many times, without letting it completely warm up. The engine will be adding additional fuel when it's cold (just like a choke) and if the plugs aren't allowed to get to operating temp, they will foul.
I foiund this out the hard way the first summer I had my Apex. I installed Bender pipes and was starting it during the summer thinkning that I'm keeping the bugs out.. (plus satisfying the itch to listen to it) When I finally went to get it out and ride it.. nothing. Ended up pulling a couple of the plugs, heating them with a lighter and it finally sputtered to life again. After a little babying to keep it going, it came back around and ran great the rest of the trip. Lesson learned. I don't start it anymore unless it's necessary, and I do take extra plugs with me when I go out of town. I don't carry them on my sled, but just keep them in the trailer just in case. I doubt you'll ever have a fouling issue while out on the trail, but rather when starting it for the first time when the engine is cold.
Not to worry, it's not really a big deal, just don't shut it off until it's had a chance to warm up.

the only time i fouled the plugs on mine is when i did like the last poster stated started it up and shut it down to many times without proper warm up but mine i just left it sit for a day and it started up and ran rough for a bit then it evened out and has been fine since. That said if you touch the throttle while cranking a sled that is not firing you are dumping allot of fuel in there and can cause a foul that can only be fixed by pulling the plugs and heating them and cranking the motor with no plugs in the holes but i would also conect the plugs to the wires and ground them so you dont burn out anything else while cranking the motor and also is a good chance to see if you have spark on all cylinders. if they are black and or wet and i had them out i would just change them and be done.

Not to hijack the thread.. and still wondering did you get your sled going and was it a crank sensor issue???

But again I will reiterate when I first had the sled I was also guilty of starting the sled many times in summer etc.. just to hear that sound lol and I have never had a plug fouling issue... I am either lucky or the fouling is not as prevalent as most people think.

I haven't got it running yet but thanks to you guys I pulled the stator again because it is a aftermarket and the crank sensor was hitting the crank so I'm going to order a oem stator this week. I'll let you guys know what the out come is next.

Another bad update, after installing a brand oem stator, still not running. I just dont know what to do with it any more, I think i might take it to a guy down the road that works on yamahas, see if he can figure it out before the season is over.

do you have pulse width at injectors also is coil circuit pulsing if you have both those check fuel pressure if you had no injector pulse width sled would not have flooded as injectors would not have been firing

Eventually it fires and codes go away. Runs like a top. Then randomly all codes come back... 11, 13, 15, 23, 84...and it won't fire. Checked grounds, connections. This happened 6-8 times this season including the first time I went to start it. If I keep trying(like 20-30 attempts with wire inspections/wiggling/ head scratching in between) it does eventually fire. It may run fine for a day or an hour until I repeat this process.

I had a pin start to slide out of one of the connectors... Once I figured out which connector/wires were causing the problem I found and pushed the pin in and super glued it so it wouldn't come back out... Just a thought

Back