• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need some advice about the CDI update!!!!!!!!!

MadMax

TY 4 Stroke Master
I went to my dealer today about the updates on our vectors.. I don't need the jackshaft.... "GOOD" But he wants to do the clutch and the CDI.. Hmmmmmmmmmmm..
Here is my problem............My sled has "NEVER" ran poorly. The tors has never kicked in.. The clutch noise "TO ME" is not an issue..
And I hate taking my sleds into dealers.. So, should I just take a chance and run it the way it is now... Or, take it in and hope they don't "F" it up. :o| MM.

I feel the same way,but I let them do mine,stood and watched the whole time.Jay

I would get the cdi . some of the sleds never did it untill 2500 miles. If your not worried about the clutch just tell them to give you the parts and then you can put them in latter If you decide. I had mine in the dealer with the clutch and man its quiet now, But he would not do the cdi Unless I have had a tors problem, Well the first snow I will be back telling him it give me the code. They should have fixed it when it was there. You can always bybass the tors, but I would get the cdi before the warranty runs out.And you right about taking it in the dealer I have scratches on the bottom of mine from the sled lift.I guess I will put some in when I get a chance to ride it , But still pissed me off

I did not have any codes come up on mine yet, but my dealer is going to replace the CDI anyways. He said that Yamaha give them the OK to replace the CDI on all the RS sleds if they had the problem or not.

my damn tors didnt act up til i hit teh 2500mi marker...made me mad cuz it was the last trip and it pretty much sucked

MadMax said:
I went to my dealer today about the updates on our vectors.. I don't need the jackshaft.... "GOOD" But he wants to do the clutch and the CDI.. Hmmmmmmmmmmm..
Here is my problem............My sled has "NEVER" ran poorly. The tors has never kicked in.. The clutch noise "TO ME" is not an issue..
And I hate taking my sleds into dealers.. So, should I just take a chance and run it the way it is now... Or, take it in and hope they don't "F" it up. :o| MM.

I feel the same way about letting someone else work on my sled. Makes me nervous. I can usually talk the car dealership into giving me the warranty part in trade for the bad part and letting me do the labor myself. Shhhh. ;)!

Your decision, but IMO you should get it done as they have had enough issues with these to put a correction in place. Mine's done and I'll be picking it up when I get the chance next week. You can be sure that I will be looking it over closely before leaving the lot in case of poor workmanship.

Thanks guys. Hmmmm. I guess I'll keep my friday opt. Would it be rude of me to have the service guy do a walk-around my sled before service to point out it has "0" stratches or dents?????????? My wife told me to be nice about it........... #$%&* #$%&* That shop bent my buddies grab rail, and stratced his hood when he took his in... :o| :o| :o| :o| Wish me luck. MM.

IMHO, I would definently get all the updates done, for resale value alone. How would you explain not having them done when reselling it (if the new buyer knows about the issues)?

If my dealer bent or scratched anything on my sled he would be hearing from me, that's for sure! I would definently have them look it over with you, if they are known to be sloppy with protecting the sleds while servicing them! ;)!

gerard143 said:
WAIT A SEC WHAT UPDATES. ON WHAT YEAR SLEDS........ WHAT GOES WRONG... I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM....
I'm in the dark also. Please post all info.

gerard143 said:
WAIT A SEC WHAT UPDATES. ON WHAT YEAR SLEDS........ WHAT GOES WRONG... I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM....
There are a few service bulletins these would affect the 05 vector one is a o rings for the clutch noise the other is cdi for the tors problem . with is the throttle over ride system.Explains in manual how to bypass this if need be. There is the jackshaft problem. this does not affect all of them only a few vin numbers, you dealer can tell you if your is in the computer

CDI Update - What is the change you ask...??

Let see if I get this right. What was happening is when you hit the throttle, generally after coming down a long hill, the computer would sense the open throttle hand control switch on the handlebar but would also sense a closed throttle position sensor on the carbs. The computer read this as a frozen throttle cable and would kick in the TORS. The change was to increase the time delay for reading the TPS in the computer. This gave the computer a little longer time to think before denying us the thrill for a wide open throttle. You know...it's all in the timing.

MadMax said:
Thanks guys. Hmmmm. I guess I'll keep my friday opt. Would it be rude of me to have the service guy do a walk-around my sled before service to point out it has "0" stratches or dents?????????? My wife told me to be nice about it........... #$%&* #$%&* That shop bent my buddies grab rail, and stratced his hood when he took his in... :o| :o| :o| :o| Wish me luck. MM.

Well? How'd things go with the repairs? Have you picked it up yet?

I picked mine up yesterday. The clutch sounds much better. I did have a couple issues with the way things went though. I left the trailer there when I dropped it off to avoid having my sled sit outside. Good thing I looked in the trailer before I left, because MY SLED WASN'T EVEN IN THERE. They found it sitting in the back lot on the grass. Been there through a thunderstorm. I was bummed. Also I can't tell how the CDI upgrade went, because it is running terrible and popping through the exhaust. They called after the repairs and told me it needed a set of plugs and the carbs cleaned. Guess I'll be doing that today to make sure that is what's causing it.

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. I ended up working that friday.. So I set it up for the day after thanksgiving.. I had a nice loooooooong talk to the service guy and set a few ground rules up.. Like-"DON'T" damage anything.... :shock:
I'll the results.. I don't except much from the clutch fix.. Mine is quite quiet.. But he said as long as they have it in why not????????? MM.

Back