• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

need some advice on the nytro, thinking of buying one

drunkenrich

Expert
Hey guys,
I currently have a ski doo rev that keeps burning down and i'm sick of putting $ into pistons and cylinders. I really love the rev chasis cause i am tall (6 5") and stand while riding with risers but I am getting sick of weak ski doo engineering. I have never riden yami and don't know much bout them. I like the looks of the nytro XTX cause I want a crossover. Can you guys be completely honest with me and tell me the pros and cons of the nytro. are there any major flaws? etc. I own a yamaha dirt bike and quad and love those so I think it's time to get one of these.

For one engine is bullet proof, and you may need to replace things here and there but much more cheaper than new piston and rings. I understand where your coming from i blew my motors alot just cause i ride hard. JUst yestarday we were river riding cruising about 70 to 90mph for a couple hours with absolutely no problems! Nytro is a great sled ill never get a 2 stroke again

When i say you may need to replace things. I mean like standard maintenance*

drunkenrich said:
Hey guys,
I currently have a ski doo rev that keeps burning down and i'm sick of putting $ into pistons and cylinders. I really love the rev chasis cause i am tall (6 5") and stand while riding with risers but I am getting sick of weak ski doo engineering. I have never riden yami and don't know much bout them. I like the looks of the nytro XTX cause I want a crossover. Can you guys be completely honest with me and tell me the pros and cons of the nytro. are there any major flaws? etc. I own a yamaha dirt bike and quad and love those so I think it's time to get one of these.

I made the jump from a REV to the Nytro, it really is hard to beat the Rev setup but without an engine they get boring.. It is an adjustment. I really like the Nytro and if they crossed the REV and Nytro we would have the answer.. I think someone is actually working on that.

if i get one i am def buying used, is there a certain year to stay away from? like are the 2008's crappy cause they were the 1st?

2008 is the first year for the current rider forward design.

Depending on what type of riding you do, the adjustments are usually minor.

Tell us what type of riding you do and were and i am sure you will get a few suggestions.

Usually updated skis for boon-docking and a few other mods make the Nytro a fun sled

drunkenrich said:
if i get one i am def buying used, is there a certain year to stay away from? like are the 2008's crappy cause they were the 1st?

2008 year had steering issues that were fixed in 2009 (ski's make a big difference too) If you can find a good used 2009 jump on it....

I have some buddies that havn't done a thing but stud and carbids . So its all in what you want out of it . They work good stock . You dont need to do everything poeple are doing it may work go for them but not you . So if you don't like how something is working then fix (adjust it ) as needed , just my .02

i do alot of trail riding in Vermont but love to go boondockin and jumping and do ride really aggressive. I weigh 245 and am 6 5" so i need a tuff sled. I also use risers on my rev, have about 8 inches of rise cause i stand most of the time. do you think the nytro would be good for me? i like the XTX version, looks good

The nytro is probably the most comfortable sled for standing, even more than a xp. Out of the factory they dont handle good but there are a million options and adjustments to make it handle great. what you have is a solid platform with a killer motor that if you are patient and willing to try working with it will be an awesome sled.

what kind of gas mileage do these get? what would you guys say is "high mileage" for a nytro? also, how long do they last? 10k miles? more?

As a Doo guy at heart, and recent Nytro owner, the sled takes some getting used to. I am just over 500 miles now and gaining confidence. Pros: the motor is amazing - just great power all the time and great throttle response; it is great in the big bumps but u r gonna need the 1900 or 2100 torsion springs; good sturdy feel to the entire chassis; you feel the weight on the skis when turning - it carves the corners great once you get used to it. Cons: it'll take you a bit of time to get the suspension dialed in and u r gonna need to tweak it for different conditions day to day; it doesn't feel as planted down as the revs coming out of corners or on long high speed runs; after a long ride you really start to feel the weight on the front skis; mine hates the stutter bumps at slower speeds; the darting and hunting when transitioning from high speed fields in to tight trails is annoying to say the least and downright scary if you aren't expecting it.

In terms of mods, I weigh a bit less than you and am about 6'1" and ride pretty aggressively. I opted for the 1900 springs and am happy - the skid in mine is about as good as it gets in the bigger bumps. Front shocks are set up soft right now to decrease ski pressure to deal with the darting - but I hope to firm them up when I get new skis. The shocks in my FX (not RTX) are less prone to fade than my Rev X package sleds but the sled is FIRM if you aren't really running it hard. I just ordered a set of Curve XS skis with 6" round bars and the Leading Edge to address the darting issues. If the Curves smooth it out at low speeds and when making the high speed to low speed transition, I'lll be very happy with the sled.

Back