• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nervous-buying a new Y sled tomorrow and looking for advice

Do the 136" track Yamaha sleds make for a better overall riding experience??

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fredsdogdino

Veteran
Hi, I'm very nervous about buying a new sled,,my first sled at 34 years old!! Used to ride with my father and brother when I was a kid but they sold them long before I reached the age that I could have my own. I've dreamed ever since that someday the day would come when I would own my own and tomorrow is the day. I would like a Vector for trailriding and am leaning toward buying the LTX Vector GT but I would like any advice before purchasing to make my mind feel at ease-good or bad. I am not sure if the 136" track is better than the 121" regular Vectors. I am a big bodied guy 6'2" and 265ibs if that makes a difference. Does the new steering set-up for the newer Yamaha sleds make a big difference in handling? I'm worried about steering and corning. I read a post on here about a LTX rider tipping his sled over because the ski's wouldn't sit through corners. Is this a serious problem? Should I look into new ski's like Slydogs as I've read that the stock ski's aren't sufficient? Any and all advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!! (I won't sleep all night) Thanks!!!

Congrats

I have the 'o7 Rage and love it, I had the dealer install the "fat boy" spring I go 6'1 250 best investment I made, A friend has the identical sled but without the heavier spring and man does that thing bottom out. I run with the 136" track an I must say worth every penny again. Good Luck with your purchase and let us know what you end up with.

:4STroke:

I got an 05 rage and love it i got ats arrow skis they really make a difference with the long track to keep it from pushing corners love the fuel milage. The stock yamaha skis for me would push the corners for me so i would always slow down now i got alot better control coming into corners. thats just my five cents though the new delta box II chassis might not do that

Thanks medic944,,I will go with the "fat boy" spring. I can't wait to own a Yamaha. There are 4 guys I work with tell me that I'm making a bad decision buying a Yamaha because they own SkiDoo's and Polaris's. One has a son that races SkiDoo's and another used to own his own Polaris shop. I've heard it all week. They all down the Yamaha's because of handling and weight but I'm a believer that Yamaha makes a top of the line sled and want to prove them wrong. Would like some advice though and would like to ease my mind. Grateful to everyone who posts a comment. Thank you

Yeah they are serious sled guys I work with and say their SkiDoo's and Polaris's are the best. I want to be part of the Yamaha nation but get laughs at work.

i got laughed at at first to but when im out driving on saturday morning there in there shops tearing apart motors clutches and what not im having fun lol. Polaris for me was out of the question ski doo maybe there new 1200 4 tecs or whatever look like they would be a sweet sled but i love the 120 hp yamahas. you should like your vector ltx

Any suggestions on setting up the sled for the perfect ride- different from the factory settings? Has anyone had a bad experience with a 2008-09 136" sled? Handling issues?-good/bad? I've heard that putting more weight on the front ski's makes for better handling on the Yamaha's but don't know if that's true for 08-09' sleds.

i would say to get the sled and make a note of how it is set up...ride the sled make some changes and if they do not help go back to the original settings then make another change etc until you get the sled to where if feels right for you; keeping the original setting gives you a base mode to work from...IMO no 2 riders want a sled set up the same way, they may be close but will differ in some slight way...you can also shim the ski's (do a search on this sight for the how to) this helps darting...the type of wear bar on the ski makes a difference also, i run a studboy 7 1/2" shaper bar, others run some type of duel runner bar...good luck

this is the reason i bought mine this year,non-efi is just as good if not better,dont have to worry about frozen fuel pump relay and i think,from what ive experienced with other riders with efi sleds,that the carbs are bullet proof,go with the 136

go for it

just switched to the 120 in a 136 last year. love the ride. i'm close to your size and have no probs. the thing i like is the adjustments r easy for the type of riding you do. just have to play with the suspension until you find out where you want it set up. dont be afraid to experiment with it like i was, had it set up to tight one day and got bucked off in some ruff stuff the boys had a good laugh. was turning the dial the wrong way....lol. soon enuff youll find your ride. the good folk on here will guide you if you have any probs.

Back