• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

No reverse

SideHogger

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Ltx-Le Sidewinder
Two days ago, went to ride, unload sled, put in reverse, sounded like it went in reverse but sled wouldn’t move. Took out of reverse put back in reverse, acted like slides sticking but no reverse. Had friend lift rear off ground track wouldn’t move. Took out of reverse again, engaged clutches and forward no problems. Put back in reverse and this time, track rotated and off trailer it went. 130miles later, no issue but never used reverse all day. Today, put up on stand, forward, no issues. Put in reverse, and track won’t move. Back to forward and no issues. No codes and actuator sounds and feels by touch like it’s working but track won’t move in reverse. Wanted to ride tomorrow. Any ideas or is everyone going to say, open up chaincase? Help….

Two days ago, went to ride, unload sled, put in reverse, sounded like it went in reverse but sled wouldn’t move. Took out of reverse put back in reverse, acted like slides sticking but no reverse. Had friend lift rear off ground track wouldn’t move. Took out of reverse again, engaged clutches and forward no problems. Put back in reverse and this time, track rotated and off trailer it went. 130miles later, no issue but never used reverse all day. Today, put up on stand, forward, no issues. Put in reverse, and track won’t move. Back to forward and no issues. No codes and actuator sounds and feels by touch like it’s working but track won’t move in reverse. Wanted to ride tomorrow. Any ideas or is everyone going to say, open up chaincase? Help….
If you said it feels like the actuator is "functioning" and the gear is NOT stripped inside th eactuator, (believe in 17 they were plastic-heard they changed it in later models), then you are probably looking at opening up the chain case. Top reverse gear bushing issue...?

If forks are not working properly, and won’t shift thats your first clue to do the repair before you take out other parts and it gets into your pocket deeper than it needs too… I M O

Worn out reverse actuator is fairly common. I would bet on that. Its possible the clock gear is plastic and worn out and you might be able to "reclock" it, but the clock gear on my '17 was metal and it seems to have just burned out after the original grease got to tacky.

What would make it not be able to turn track in reverse? I mean it locks right up but put in forward, all good! Basically, can I ride tomorrow without reverse and look at it when the big melt hits Friday?

I had the same thing end of season 2 years ago , on my 17 LTX LE .
Had one more weekend of riding and was told to be safe don't put it in reverse .
No problem that weekend and when I took it to the dealer , in the off season , they couldn't recreate the issue , but warrantied the reverse pads , upper gear, and bushing , and never had a problem since.

Thanks gentlemen. I think I will ride it forward only tomorrow and take my chances. I believe I have read before that the actuator is nothing more than a Saturn window motor? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks gentlemen. I think I will ride it forward only tomorrow and take my chances. I believe I have read before that the actuator is nothing more than a Saturn window motor? Can anyone confirm?
Yes it is but here in canada, the OEM costs the same as on Amazon Saturn one.

check belt tension if to tight it wont go in reverse or can just act up.

check belt tension if to tight it wont go in reverse or can just act up
check belt tension if to tight it wont go in reverse or can just act up.
Tension is good. I’m going to bring tow strap and hopefully get my last ride in! Lol
Does anyone know the Saturn part number for the actuator if it is bad? Yamaha $190, Cat $181……

Last edited:
Dorman 742-115

I have the complete instructions in a pdf file....harvested from ty4-stroke a few years ago

Purchase the Dorman window actuator motor part number 742-115 for a 2002-
2005 Saturn 300L Sedan shown in the picture below. Dorman produces two
different actuators under this part number. Only the one with the black gear
housing will work. The one with the white gear housing will not.

Dorman 742-115

I have the complete instructions in a pdf file....harvested from ty4-stroke a few years ago

Purchase the Dorman window actuator motor part number 742-115 for a 2002-
2005 Saturn 300L Sedan shown in the picture below. Dorman produces two
different actuators under this part number. Only the one with the black gear
housing will work. The one with the white gear housing will not.
Exactly what I was trying to find. Thank you so much and to all the great people on this forum!!! I have no dealer to go to and have to figure this all on my own! Thanks so much again!!

There are more instructions to make it work, nothing too hard to do, but it won't just bolt in as is....

Back