• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro issues??

snocrazy

Veteran
Well this is my first post! I finally switched to a 4 stroke. Picked up 08 Nytro RTX with 7300 km a few months ago. I have done lots of reading and wouldn't have dreamed of doing the things I have done so far without this site. So far repacked track shaft and jackshaft bearing, put dupont slides on replaced some idler wheels, greased everything, wired up 12v accessory plug, removed gas tank, seat and panels to inspect exhaust gaskets (brand new, PO must have done them... all good). I have ordered a set of stainless spindles from UPBUSHMAN and am I am in the process of installing a-arm Oilite bushings.

While I was tearing the front end down, noticed 2 things... On clutch side upper a-arm was not center of the shock?? What does this mean?? The a-arm does not appear bent, neither does the subframe.. Also noticed oily residue around lower crankcase. Hope this is normal it has me very concerned. Bare with me everyone I am a complete NOOB and have never done anything close to this before. This site is awesome, and hope you guys can point me in the right direction

Thanks! :rocks:

probly tweeked subframe.... just align and ride/ monitor, if it gets worse then a updated subframe is in ur future, as for the oil residue, if its just residue and not drips i wouldnt worry about it, might be from and oil change or something else. Clean it off and see if it comes back. GL with the ride.

Congratulations!

The oil residue can also come from the airbox, if you roll the sled over or let it lay on its side, there will come some oil out of airbox, the airbox has a crank ventilation hose inside it. If you dont rollover often or do alot of boondocking you will be fine, if you rollover often you should install an OFT Rollover valve w/tether cord.

:)

Also if the front end seems slightly tweaked, give the vin# to your dealer and see if it was one of th eones that should of been replaced under a small recall. I had mine replaced on my 08 for free from the dealer, because the front on some were not welded correctly. The front ends can tweak, but this year did have a recall on some. Hope it helps, and CONGRATS!!! :Rockon:

I also bought a 08 RTX. My sled was leaking a small amount of oil around the oil pan. I retorqued the oilpan hardware. Some of it was quite loose. The spec was 7.5ft lbs

kimoajaj said:
Congratulations!

The oil residue can also come from the airbox, if you roll the sled over or let it lay on its side, there will come some oil out of airbox, the airbox has a crank ventilation hose inside it. If you dont rollover often or do alot of boondocking you will be fine, if you rollover often you should install an OFT Rollover valve w/tether cord.

Well with some further inspection it seems the oil is coming from the air box. I checked oil, it's clean and at proper level. Can rolling the sled cause any damage to the motor? Should I be trying to get the oil out of the air box?? I don't usually roll sleds over, PO must have. OFT Rollover valve might be some good insurance though..

snocrazy said:
kimoajaj said:
Congratulations!

Well with some further inspection it seems the oil is coming from the air box. I checked oil, it's clean and at proper level. Can rolling the sled cause any damage to the motor? Should I be trying to get the oil out of the air box?? I don't usually roll sleds over, PO must have. OFT Rollover valve might be some good insurance though..

Your motor is most likely fine. The reason the rollover vale is so important is that it stops the engine and shuts off the oil tank the second the tether is pulled.

snocrazy said:
kimoajaj said:
Congratulations!

yes rolling over these 4 strokes can be catastrophic for these engines if they arent shut off. that is why a tether is key, also the rollover valve is there to stop you from dumping all of your engine oil all over. rollver valve with tether should be a must have for these sleds.

There are two drains in the bottom of the air box. The excess oil will drain out here and often times get blown back onto the right front of the engine. This will can make it appear as if the lower crankcase halves of the engne are leaking oil.
Normally its a good idea to go ahead and pull the air box filter foam out and clean it. K-N air filter cleaner and warm water works well for this. ;)!
While the filter is out I will clean out the air box with brake parts cleaner as well. Becareful when using brake parts cleaner though, some types are pretty harsh and can dis-color plastic parts. I usually will spray some on a "test area" to make sure that it won't damage anything. Also you'll want to make sure that all the cleaner has evaporated before re-starting the engine.

Bill

I got the air filter out and all cleaned up. Noticed there was some oil in the bottom of the air box. Im guessing the PO put 'er on her side. In the "s" shaped tube in the box there was some white milky looking oil?? Is this oil + water mixed?? I checked oil AGAIN and now there is some white milky dots around top of dipstick. Where did this come from????? I had the sled started up to check track alignment after I put on the new dupont slides a week or so ago.. condensation maybe? ( Relatively humid in Southern Ontario today..) The oil still looks perfect aside from this... from what I can see. I am really hoping I am not into major issues before my season has even begun.

Looks like I will also be picking up a shorty skid plate from Mountiantech. Stock one looks like junk and PO must have smacked something to slightly bend bottom of heat exchanger. I've read on here what can happen if a rock or stump make friends with my oil filer...

I am planning some long rides this winter and want to take care of all possible problems in advance!

Every time I open something up, seems I find more problems... :o|

Thanks for the help guys/gals

snocrazy said:
I got the air filter out and all cleaned up. Noticed there was some oil in the bottom of the air box. Im guessing the PO put 'er on her side. In the "s" shaped tube in the box there was some white milky looking oil?? Is this oil + water mixed?? I checked oil AGAIN and now there is some white milky dots around top of dipstick. Where did this come from????? I had the sled started up to check track alignment after I put on the new dupont slides a week or so ago.. condensation maybe? ( Relatively humid in Southern Ontario today..) The oil still looks perfect aside from this... from what I can see. I am really hoping I am not into major issues before my season has even begun.

Looks like I will also be picking up a shorty skid plate from Mountiantech. Stock one looks like junk and PO must have smacked something to slightly bend bottom of heat exchanger. I've read on here what can happen if a rock or stump make friends with my oil filer...

I am planning some long rides this winter and want to take care of all possible problems in advance!

Every time I open something up, seems I find more problems... :o|

Thanks for the help guys/gals

The milky white is from the oil vapor mixing with condensation and it is normal in most cases.
If there is a more serious issue such as a leaking head gasket, the oil itself would be milky and there are other signs such as loosing coolant.

Went for the first ride today.. MAN!! ITS TIPPY!!! Had a bit of fun.. then loaded it on the trailer and noticed drips of coolant under chain case side. What the heck is my problem now?? any suggestions?? I have looked everywhere and cannot find a leak. Sled was almost on its right side for a short while when getting out of a huge drift. :o| It is not dripping anymore... and I cant get it to drip again?? I also noticed the overflow reservoir was over the full mark when hot?? Please help me out here guys, I don't want to be down now that we FINALLY have snow up north...

check around the thermostat housing they don't normally leak unless someone has been into it before. Check around all upper rad connections. Fluid can run down from higher up places on this sled. Also might just be from filling the rad..?
These sleds are also very easy to overfill with oil. If you overfill even a couple 100ml it will puke the extra oil into the airbox.

your overflow tank over flowed sounds like to me. There is a overflow hose out of the top of the overfull tank I beleive.

iwillwait4u said:
your overflow tank over flowed sounds like to me. There is a overflow hose out of the top of the overfull tank I beleive.

If this is the case wouldn't it drip near clutch side? What causes this to piss out? I am concerned it is the heat exchanger?? I have just looked around all rad connections and thermostat etc. No signs of any drips or coolant on anything. Is it safe to ride?

Back