• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro MTX Opinions Without Yamahype

I'm with Nikolai on all his compliants.

The oil in the airbox is really getting bothersome now. I had check oil light come on and off all weekend because of this. Like people have said on here, sometimes the easiest way to get a sled un-stuck is to roll it over. When doing this on the Nytro oil fills into the airbox.. :o|

Handwarmers seem to be no longer and issue with me, but it's been a few rides since i've ridden in below 0 F temps.

If they offer a shock package with floats for the MTX its what i would have order from the factory, something like Arctic Cat has offered with their SnoPro lines.

I have 200 miles on mine now and it the funest all around sled I have ever ridden. yesterday I rode the new cat, skido and Polaris offerings and I like the Nytro better as did alot of my now converted buddies.

At first it darted all over the trail and I thought I made a mistake.

The fix. Set the alighnment to zero and flip the rubber pads 180 on the ski mount point. HUGE difference!! 80mph and straight as an arrow.

It Does need a bigger tank, I average 60-80 miles on a tank.

Also it needs some more weight on the primary clutch as it hits the rev limiter for the first 50 feet or so. It makes monster power and walks away from alot of sleds!
Also I run a gallon of 110 race gas per tank. It smells good and the motor loves it!!

VMax4,
I see you also have Phazer Mtn Lite. I'm considering upgrading to the Nytro next year.
Is it as easy to carv as the Phazer??
My style of riding is mainly boondocking in the UP.
Do some hill climbing but sick of getting stuck on the Phazer. Would like to get a little more air when I'm boondocking..Not enough throttle response with the phaz..fun factor has gonna worn out

What are the issues with the track that some are mentioning?

I just rode one for about 10 hours (rented) so I could figure out if I want to buy one or wait till Sept and get a XTX.

I will copy/paste my review below this thread.

So four of us went to Bend Oregon this last weekend (2/16) and rode some of the Yamaha's. I had the Nitro and my GF had the Phazer. I spent about 8 hours riding and put about 85 miles on the sled. First of all since I just mentioned miles, the fuel economy is very good. 7.4 gallon tank and I still had 1 bar left on the digital display. I'm not sure how much that means left, but it was still good considering I rode it pretty hard.

The power was very good also. It's a very smooth type of power which at first makes you think that it doesnt have much power. The big difference is, is that there isnt any lag in moving. Hit the throttle and its instant pull all the way through, vs riding a 2stroke, you hear it wind up, then it takes off. I wouldnt cry if there was more power though. I went from trail to ditches to powder, to hill climbs and never had any problems. In fact at times I just rolled up to hills, ditches, etc and didnt need to hammer on it. My confidence in the power was that high. It definitely pulled your arms/shoulders back when you hit the gas.

The speed is pretty good. I had it up to 91. I wouldnt say it got there in an instant, but the sled isnt setup for top fuel dragsters either. The torque is what you really noticed from the bottom end. I idled up to a small lip and jumped across and entire road and then climbed up a pretty steep incline for about 100 feet in a good amount of powder. I just cant tell you how much confidence I had on the sled.

As far as the turning goes, I have read other people complain about how heavy it is and how it doesnt turn in and point and go. All BS. When riding it, you dont even notice the weight and again its not all that much more than other sleds when comparing fuel diff/oil, etc. For a 153 track, it turned really good. There was only a few times where I wanted to turn it sharper. I would say a better ski would help alot. The Phazer was actually 10 times worse to turn than the nitro. It felt like it weighed 1000lbs compared. I believe its because of the engine placement over the ski's, but im not positive. I did manage to roll the sled over on its side 2 times. Both times I was pushing it up hill to get it level again, which didnt help. Both times were also due to me trying to help a few other sleds that were stuck mid hill. I practically coasted up to them and stopped, asked them if they needed help and then started to take off. When I did, I didnt have any momentum and the inside ski dug and it was all over. YES, it was a pain in the @ss to get over. I'm about 220lbs and its not from being overweight and I still struggled. Without my buddy helping me, I would have been there awhile. However, if it was MY sled, I would have just rolled it completely over and been on my way. I just wanted to take as much care of the sled as I could, so I could have avoided the pain had it been mine.

The suspension is very nice. Again the confidence I had in the sled allowed me to fly over some pretty gnarly sections with ease. There was only one time that I bottomed out the rear suspension and that was from G'ng out when landing and immediately hitting the face of another speed bump. When jumping the sled, it soaked it up so easily and allowed me to get on the throttle instantly.

The riding position is SWEET. I went from sitting to standing without effort. It was very comfy to ride standing. Riding position is aimed forward and aggressive. It felt like I was going from my race bike (dirt) to quad riding. The running boards were far superior than anything I have ever ridden. Lots of room and your boots gripped it like crazy.

It did overheat a few times, but it only took seconds once in powder to cool it down. It only happened due to riding on the trails and not allowing any snow to get next to the track (cant think of what the part is called).

The F.I was incredible. never had any issues and it ran like a champ the entire day. Elec start, was flawless and the reverse was very nice. Infact the reverse will put you over the front if your not paying attention.

I will attach a few pics and if I can get the video downsized then I will upload it also. Any good shareware software to do that? its about 123mb.

Overall my impression was very good. Personally I will wait until Sept 08 and most likely ride/buy the Crossover XTX. I think it will be the best of all worlds. I love the nitro but for me, a little better turning, a little better suspension and a little shorter track would be perfect. And the XTX seems to have all of that.

You want advises, you'l have them. That site is full of honest crasy, snowmobile lover. on my side i can not compare my rx1 mtn whith my Nytromtx, just like comparing apple and orange, two: give chance to Yamaha tech to get that machine a second year, because yamaha guys are no fool and they listen us carfully i am sure. tree: We all driver get use to our machines, and it's question of ability's to. four: That little machine (yes little for a big four) torque to bring you to heaven it depent of the driver. Five: You see on my side, to much oriented for deep snow, i badelly need an more hybride machine. Plan to drop to 144 for me, to much trail to do. be save that the nytro is a solide one, drop it on hard pack trail 10 feet at 70 and yes the shocks suck, but the front hold, and nothing broke. yamaha have a reputation of fiabilitys and preaty nice performance, i w'ont ask more from them because every riders have their own need, and they (Yamaha) c'ant get everybodys happy, let's be honnest. 8 on 10 for me. :4STroke:

I would say I prefer my Nytro to the Phazer 90% of the time. The phazer is just enough lighter that you can really through it around, but doesn't have the same power as the Nytro. I would say an uprade to a Nytro MTX would be a good one for anyone who liked the phazer, but wanted more power.

what to buy

I purchased a new 40th MTX, came from a Viper with 159 track, took a long time to set up the Nytro to work in the mountains and now actually do like the handling. In the deep and steep it is equal to a 600 2 stroke, yes down low it thinks it is a 800 but when the pulling gets tough even with clutching it struggles. Very Hard on Fuel, my wifes M8 uses $10 less fuel then the Nytro and has way more power. Yamaha is no longer known in the great Rockies as quality as the front end will bend if you look at it wrong and Yamaha will not back it up. The dimmer switch breaks very easy and quality of seat material is bad. If it was priced better perhaps, in Canadas these retail at $13999, where we can buy a M8 for $10,000, if it was an $8000 sled would be a little happier, paid a premium without a premium sled. Be cautious

Zannydo,

My dimmer switch is still there. This same switch has been used since 2002 on the Viper I think. That is a lot of sleds between then and now. If yours fell off, I might question why?

As far as the front end bending. I have 1300 miles of riding in the mountains on my sled, and it is not bent. But once again, I HAVE NOT HIT ANYTHING WITH IT, yet..........

So before you cry foul on quality, know there are many of us out here that are not experiencing the same so called issues as you are.

I guess there are good ones and bad ones. I have a 40th MTX as well and i've been concerned about the front end...until last weekend anyway. Crossing a creek I got pitched into a group of cedars at a pretty decent clip, took a 4" cedar directly on the lower right arm. I didn't even want to look. I threw it in reverse, backed off the tree and inspected for damage...ZERO damage to the subframe or arms just a mangled bumper.

As far as power goes, I lined up with an XP 800 renegade and walked him to about 75, then he blew by me. 600 power my #*$&@.

Just filled up the nytro mtx and got 15.4 mpg. That was with my girlfriend riding it on a groomed trail for 95 miles. I was impressed. 19-40 gearing, 42/36 helix, 6500-8500 elevation.

Back