• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro vs new 800 Dragon

Well, one of the Mach's in the previous pic is tuned by the guy who won King of the Hill in NL a couple years ago, so I'm pretty sure he knows how to get a sled working well. Myself, on the other hand, am not very familiar with this kind of stuff, but I can handle a wrench half decent. I'm guessing this year will be even better. Dropped another 15 lbs off the sled this year bringing the weight reduction to about -30 lbs total, and I dropped about 30 lbs off myself :exc: , so we'll have to see how it goes. And if I'm not mistaken, the D8 weighs in at 479 lbs dry, so add a realistic 100 lbs to that number and you have roughly 579 lbs on the trail, right on par with a stock FX Nytro. And let's say even if the D8 comes with the advertised hp, it would still only have 10 or so more than a stock FX Nytro, not that big a deal really. Like I said, a good buddy of mine just bought a new D8, and we'll have some good runs for sure. I'll have to send him out a care package while he's away out west working on the oil sands, see if I can fatten him up a bit ! :rofl:

The Polaris machines are barely any lighter than the Nytro in their specific categories!! The Dragon SP may be a smidge lighter than the FX Nytro but my brothers new 800 Dragon Switchback and my new Nytro X-TX are pound for pound!! I believe there is a lot to be said for torque!! If your HP is being utilized properly throughout the curve, you'll be better off than having gobs of HP and a not so efficient torque curve!! I'm not saying that Poo hasn't used the HP well, but too many people are flattered by a big HP number!! I'm not gonna say who will win what, mainly because I don't care!! I bought my Nytro for a corner to corner and holeshot rocket!! 100mph is fast enough for me anyway!! With that said, I believe the Nytro is way ahead of the 600 class and more in line with the 800 class, save for top end!!

:yam:

Newfiebullet said:
mr rxl said:
I'm not one to bash other brands, but you Nytro guys will be happy to hear some real world results.
We had rideable snow last week and my brother-in-laws new Dragon had nothing for the Nytro's. They raced a bunch of times up 100MPH.
The dealer say there is new mapping coming already for the Dragon.

Well that's good news seeeing as I'm coming off a 700 Dragon.

I'm still thinking the Nytro is not goin gto touch a Dragon when the trail gets rough, I bought it in a move to start acting more my age instead of thinking I have to pound over every mogul out there.

Am I interpreting this correctly? Your saying a Nytro won't keep up in the bumps? Please elaborate!!

skyboz said:
Newfiebullet said:
mr rxl said:
I'm not one to bash other brands, but you Nytro guys will be happy to hear some real world results.
We had rideable snow last week and my brother-in-laws new Dragon had nothing for the Nytro's. They raced a bunch of times up 100MPH.

I'm still thinking the Nytro is not goin gto touch a Dragon when the trail gets rough, I bought it in a move to start acting more my age instead of thinking I have to pound over every mogul out there.

Am I interpreting this correctly? Your saying a Nytro won't keep up in the bumps? Please elaborate!!

Yeah, I can't quite comprehend that statement either, skyboz. I mean, there's variables of course, the rider being the biggest, but both sleds are equally capable of handling rough terrain very well. I've ridden my friend's 07 Dragon 700 and found it had awesome suspension, but no better than mine. Actually, for serious pounding, there's no beating the fox floats. No matter what I hit, the front never bottoms out, unlike some coil over shocks that were on my previous sleds. And no matter what sleds you're comparing, proper set up is an absolute must before you can give an honest, unbiased report.

Hopefully I'll get some decent seat time on my buddy's D8 this year, really looking forward to trying it out, it's a very nice sled ;)!

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
skyboz said:
Newfiebullet said:
mr rxl said:

Yeah, I can't quite comprehend that statement either, skyboz. I mean, there's variables of course, the rider being the biggest, but both sleds are equally capable of handling rough terrain very well. I've ridden my friend's 07 Dragon 700 and found it had awesome suspension, but no better than mine. Actually, for serious pounding, there's no beating the fox floats. No matter what I hit, the front never bottoms out, unlike some coil over shocks that were on my previous sleds. And no matter what sleds you're comparing, proper set up is an absolute must before you can give an honest, unbiased report.

Hopefully I'll get some decent seat time on my buddy's D8 this year, really looking forward to trying it out, it's a very nice sled ;)!

I agree, the new Poo's look pretty nice! But to say it would dust a Nytro in the bumps is a hard pill to swallow!! Rider input certainly has a lot to do with it, but come on!!!!!

GUYS GUYS GUYS!!! HAHAHA We all know HP means about nothing if you cant put it down!! The Nytro does that better than any Yamaha ever made HANDS DOWN!!! Yamaha made a sled that comes out of the gate!!! YES!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Skydog

Alatalo said:
I am sorry if my previous post was not clear, but my point is the following: Assuming that Polaris finally gets all mapping and TPS issues sorted out (so that the sled actually delivers the promised horsepower), and also assuming that the guy on the Polaris has got some kind of clue about how to set sleds up for a dragrace - then I would be very careful to challenge him with the FX Nytro, no matter how it is set up.
You are talking about beating a lighter sled with at least twenty more horsepower in a dragrace. If the above mentioned assumptions are true, then you are very likely losing this dragrace! OK, race him ten or twenty times and you will beat him sooner or later, but he will for sure walk away with more victories than you!
And again assuming that the above assumptions are true, there is nothing in the Nytro torque curve that will make you beat a twenty horsepower stronger (and lighter) sled, this is not what you are setting up your clutches for when you want to go dragracing...

Doesn't this seem to be the skinny every year......."wait 'till so and so get's their bugs worked out!".......am I missing something here?? Why is it everyone else has all these bugs with their 2 strokes to work out (as far as performance goes)?? As recently as last year it was the 800 Doo and the 1000 Cat and almost always is whatever Poo has at the top of their line. My point is: Yamaha has done an awfully good job the last few years with their box stock performance on these 4 strokes if you ask me. The 2008 Apex proved that alone during last years shootout......and being that sled had been out for a year, it wasn't like the other companies didn't know what it was. Hats off to Yamaha for their box stock performance. I had a chance to do some 1000' drags against the Nytro last year and I was very impressed with the way it jumps out of the gate.....so in essence, I think it does darn well against the competition in 700 feet runs. :4STroke:

Because this is near and dear to me, let me clarify something; horsepower doesn’t make ANYTHING move. Torque is what makes things move. Horsepower is a calculated value that describes the RATE at which work (defined by: force x distance, F x r for torque) is done. The faster you can apply the available torque, the higher the horsepower rating.

This means you can have low torque, high horsepower (think Honda Civic SI) and high torque, low horsepower systems (think diesel). It also means you can have the same torque ratings and different horsepower values.

Generally, it's easier to increase horsepower values than it is to increase torque. To increase torque you need to push on the piston harder - as turbo or supercharging does. To increase horsepower all you need to do is help the engine spin-up faster – as higher flow exhaust or intake do.

One more thing; torque can be increased or decreased through transmission systems, horsepower cannot.

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
SledFreak said:
Dyno Numbers of the 09 800 switchback...
Heat soaked Motor in stock forum. DTR website.

RPM Clb-ft CHp lb/hr lb/hph degF Ratio second
6000 85.0 97.1 55.5 0.59 44 14.8 0
6100 85.4 99.2 57.7 0.60 45 14.7 0.6
6200 86.2 101.7 59.6 0.61 46 14.3 1.3
6300 85.9 103.0 62.7 0.63 44 13.8 1.9
6400 86.8 105.8 66.9 0.66 45 13.2 2.6
6500 87.6 108.5 68.3 0.65 45 12.7 3.3
6600 88.3 110.9 68.6 0.64 41 12.5 4.2
6700 88.4 112.7 69.3 0.64 42 12.4 5.1
6800 88.5 114.6 69.5 0.63 43 12.3 5.5
6900 90.6 119.1 77.6 0.67 43 12.4 6.1
7000 91.0 121.2 76.8 0.66 43 12.5 6.3
7100 94.5 127.7 84.4 0.68 44 12.3 6.9
7200 98.2 134.6 86.0 0.66 45 11.9 7.5
7300 100.9 140.2 83.1 0.61 43 11.7 8.7
7400 101.4 142.9 87.6 0.64 44 11.8 9.3
7500 101.3 144.6 89.5 0.64 43 11.8 9.7
7600 101.1 146.3 94.3 0.67 43 11.6 10.1
7700 102.4 150.2 94.9 0.65 43 11.3 10.6
7800 102.9 152.8 96.5 0.65 44 11.3 11.4
7900 101.2 152.3 94.8 0.65 44 11.4 12.1
8000 97.8 149.0 92.2 0.64 44 11.4 12.8

These notes were also noted, since other dragons were only 142, but have heard their is an update for them

So what gives?
Based on this lean fuel flow and high HP, it appeared that this Switchback has high
altitude calibration like SkiDoos use. But I recently heard from Polaris’ Darren Hedlund
that all 09 Dragon 800’s (SP, SB and RMK) have identical calibration

DTR also started a thread on HCS saying that all D8 owners should have their TPS carefully checked and calibrated incase their sleds were running lean, where in the case noted above, the 09 800 SB was lean as well. No offense to D8 owners, but most dyno #'s I read about were anywhere from 134-142 hp box stock, pretty close to our FX Nytro readings actually, so if you own a new D8 and yours dynos closer to 152 hp, I'd get it checked out if it isn't too late already....not a bash either, just a heads up ;)!

And the plot thickens..... :dunno:
Does anyone have a gragh like this for the Nytro???

arteeex said:
horsepower doesn’t make ANYTHING move. Torque is what makes things move.

I am not 100% sure about what you mean, but one thing is for sure: As long as time is not included it will never be a performance decider. Time is not included in the mathematical definition of torque, but it is very well included in the mathematical definition of power...

I can't believe people say watch out if Polaris gets a good map for the 800 dragon.Come on we have been hearing this same old story since 2005 and the 800 in most cases won't be any different.The 700's last year were suppose to be so fast and as well as the 900's yah yah yah.Bottom line is that Polaris is losing the race when it comes to box stock performance and Yammie has stepped up to the plate bigtime with a smaller hp sled.The quote should be the owners of a dragon 800 better watch which nytro they line up against as the nytro is down on power.I ride with a ton of poo's and without alot of money sunk into them since 2005 they don't run that great.I came from a Poalris and Yamaha is night and day better when it comes to performance.

I wouldn't worry about Polaris getting a better map for this season unless they have applied for it already. The EPA takes 6 months for them to test the new mapping so nobody will get it till its too late.
On a side note, when has Polaris EVER made a good 800 CC or bigger motor.....NEVER. They have built some awsome sleds but not anything bigger than a 700. Think about it.

Back