• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro vs new 800 Dragon

You bring to light one of the reasons I don't miss 2 strokes much. If they push too much fuel they run like a turd, too little and they burn down, and now you have to worry about the stock EPA-compliant ECU mapping and tps settings on the newest ones.

mryamaha said:
I wouldn't worry about Polaris getting a better map for this season unless they have applied for it already. The EPA takes 6 months for them to test the new mapping so nobody will get it till its too late.
On a side note, when has Polaris EVER made a good 800 CC or bigger motor.....NEVER. They have built some awsome sleds but not anything bigger than a 700. Think about it.

Amen!! Been saying this for years......and believe me it's alot longer than you think going back to the '90s on their big iron.

That said, look at my avatar. I took that photo as I did the cool looking Viper photo on the 2 stroke Ty side I use. Both these guys are friends of mine. Anyways, the photo here is my buddies 2007 ATTAK, that's his boy driving it. It is bone stock and I'll tell you what.... It is a stinkin' animal out on the lakes. I watched that thing decimate a whole bunch of big iron out on the lake when the ATTAK had only 400 some miles on it. Last year he said he had it on some river and had it up over 130mph on the dream-o-meter....sure he may have spun a bit but geeez.......I know the Yammie meters lie a bit but 130ish on the meter is getting up there. I wish I could swing one of the new 4 bangers right now. I think I'd either buy the Nytro RTX-SE or the Nytro XTX. I like the Apex, but as we speak the tech is going into these models at the moment. :4STroke:

All I have to say is Doo and Poo need to backup hp claims. If they advertise 150 hp and is much lighter in weight, it better rock because them so called heavy 4-strokes are around the corner and will keep claims honest. With the bogus yamie speedos aside, its safe to say we have very competitive sleds in todays marketplace and will only get better.

Dan

alatalo said:
Yes, you can and will beat them once or twice, but they will for sure walk away with more victories than you...

I'll believe it when I see it, so for now I'll take what past history has proven. As mentioned in this thread, dyno numbers don't mean much until it's put to the ground. I live in Polaris country so you would think I'd run into a couple that have their stuff together.

Well as it stands right now, stock D8's come with 142 hp according to DTR, and a stock FX Nytro has 139-142 hp according to DTR. Max Sled put an FX Nytro RTX on the scale last year, and it weighed in at 579 lbs wet. The D8 is 479 lbs dry, so add the fluids and it WILL be extremely close to the same weight, 579 lbs wet. As far as a 1000-1500 ft dragrace is concerned, I already posted what an FX Nytro with a terrible holeshot does against a well tuned MachZ, so it should be fun to see what happens against the D8. I will let you know for sure, and then the speculation will be over ;)!

They both have there own pro's and cons but i bleed blue so ill stick with the Nytro but things i dont like about the dragon is its called "The Dragon" uhhh okward if i say so myself?? and it is about as stylish as Granny Panties. Like a wise man once said "It looks like it got hit with an ugly stick" i think it got hit with the stick and fell outa the tree, But ill stick with my XTX and put a Excell exhaust and strip some weight on her and ill go find out in person how they compare when run against my friend on the trail that just got a beautiful mean lookin*cough w/sarcasm* 09 "The Dragon 800" :rules :drink:

I had a nytro last year, got an assault for this year. Just messing around on sum grass the assault doesn't feel as torqey as the nytro. I would guess both have very similiar hp at the track regardless whether the d8 dynos 150 or more. My friend still has his nytro so when we get snow I will race him and let ya know.

orange said:
I had a nytro last year, got an assault for this year. Just messing around on sum grass the assault doesn't feel as torqey as the nytro. I would guess both have very similiar hp at the track regardless whether the d8 dynos 150 or more. My friend still has his nytro so when we get snow I will race him and let ya know.

I just looked at the specs for the Assault. Looks like it is a 146L x 2.125 footprint and a claimed 487 lbs. dry. That should do real well out west. Just comparing the specs of the XTX Nytro, you would think the Assault would have the clear advantage in the deep stuff. I would like to see Yamaha offer more track options, especially spring orders. The Ripsaw is good on the trails, but not in the powder.

Lightning Rod said:

I still claim that I am surprised, but this is of course nice to know! ;)!

Though, the guy says that "the stock setup is too much for my D8 to pull...". To me, this does not sound like the well known TPS problem (all of the 800s delivered in Sweden had incorrect TPS adjustments...). This sounds more like Polaris really fu*ked up in the last minute, like a late change to the engine mapping but not to the clutch setup...?

orange said:
I had a nytro last year, got an assault for this year.

I really like some of the details on that Assault. The snocross spec mountain skid, the strength and stiffness of the track lugs, the board stiffeners or the proper handlebar. Or just the fact that it is built like a tank and still some 100 lbs (...?) lighter than the Nytro...
Damn, this is exactly the type of sled that I am trying to build, year after year. If Yamaha would only offer something like this...

Alatalo said:
Lightning Rod said:

I still claim that I am surprised, but this is of course nice to know! ;)!

Though, the guy says that "the stock setup is too much for my D8 to pull...". To me, this does not sound like the well known TPS problem (all of the 800s delivered in Sweden had incorrect TPS adjustments...). This sounds more like Polaris really fu*ked up in the last minute, like a late change to the engine mapping but not to the clutch setup...?

People really don't know what a well set up Nytro can do. I suprised a lot of people on the lake last year. Hope to add Ulmer's intake kit this year.

Back