• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oh Man! Is this Viper gonna be my BOO? or leave me BLUE?!

dbroaddu

Newbie chiming in and let me start off my first post by sayin' thanks to all ya'll who support and share your knowledge on here... this forum is a huge help for those of us on the outside wanting to get in, and up to speed. SO THANKS MUCH!!!

Okay guys check my math here...

I'm at the firing line close to pulling the trigger on a New Viper LTX SE, and 12.3K isn't just something i can get wrong and it be... no big deal.... 12 cakes is fo real!!!! Paper works basically done, just waiting to go sign and pick it up.... but in the meantime (and before)....

I've been reading, researching, watching videos, side by side comparisons and ended up at Viper.... my eyes are bloodshot and I'm not sure my eyelids will actually close. I think I'm past the point of the internet helping and now in it's evil grasp of "I can show you how every snowmobile is GREAT and every snowmobile SUCKS!"

SO IF YOU GUYS WOULD BE SO KIND, GIVE ME SECOND SET OF EYES ON THIS BASED ON YOUR HONEST VIPER OPINIONS, SPECIFICALLY REGARDING ISSUES AND RELIABILITY... SHOULD I...

1) BUY IT, THERE'S A LOVE/HATE CAMP FOR EVERY SLED... I HAVE ZERO BUYER'S REMORSE WITH MY VIPER. JUST MAKE SURE TO CHECK THINGS OVER.
2) DON'T BUY IT NOW, SEASON'S ALMOST OVER. SNOW CHECK A 2015, PERHAPS IMPROVEMENTS ARE COMING.
3) HONESTLY, DON'T BUY IT AT ALL, TOO MANY ISSUES WITH HOT START, CHAIN CASES, LEAKS, ETC. GET SOME OTHER SLED IF YOU WANT TRUE RELIABILITY, AND MINIMAL WRENCHING.

... man I'd really appreciate your honest inputs.... Are you all happy you dropped the cabbage on yours?!... Thanks so much!

I feel your pain, im going through the same thing :o| thats alot of cash for me and about a 3 year loan, dont want to be stuck with a lemon for that long, im going to wait and see whats out for 2015 and if i dont like what i see, i have no choice other than jump ship and go over to the dark side. {yellow}

Welcome to the site :)

I love my Viper! Am i glad I have one of the first? HELL YES! This sled is amazing in everyway and sure...every sled needs some attention, but if you really read a lot of these posts, you will find mostly everyone is very happy with their Viper.

Now, because spring is just around the corner, it would be hard to hold out for a new 2015 in fall.

Honestly, I am very perticular about the sleds I buy and ride. I do 98% of my own maintenance and repairs....plus I try and tweak every little bit of performance out of it without emptying my bank account.

Hell, I'm already waiting to see if some used Vipers come up for sale....but you know what? There aren't any. That should be a hint of how people like them :)

X2

The knowledge is what it's about. take from this site maintenance and preventatives. Instead of "what to do my sled won't start in the middle of the trail?" Flick the throttle before turning it over. Starts right up without worries.

Funniest sled I have ever rode!

No sled is to my liking out the gate, this one is the closest by far.

I love my viper and would buy another one without hesitation! My father inlaw has a 2014 vector with power steering, i let him ride my viper and he already called the dealer about getting a viper. He has owned vectors since they first came out!

1) BUY IT, THERE'S A LOVE/HATE CAMP FOR EVERY SLED... I HAVE ZERO BUYER'S REMORSE WITH MY VIPER. JUST MAKE SURE TO CHECK THINGS OVER.

I put my wife on an XTX and she absolutely loves it. She is a small woman, not 5 feet tall, not 100 lbs. and finds it easier to drive than the Rage it replaced. It has 850 K on it (gets its first service today) and has had ZERO issues. AC has built a great platform combined with Yamahas engine this is a hybred, definitely not a mongrel mutt. The only problem I would with not buying another for me is they are north of $15 K for us.

I'd say go for it! However, do you currently have a sled? Its a hair over two weeks before the 2015s are announced. Just something to think about:

Anyway the 2015 line will be announced on line Tue Feb 11. Cheers cr

I am in the same set of shoes.....

Made the mistake of pulling the trigger in 08 or 09 (( first model year for Nytro))

Never again! I expect the machine to run like it is suppose to and I shouldn't have to spend more money or time to make it right. Especially something that costs 12000+

First model year...u are the guinea pig and should expect to fork out extra cash.

12500 is such a subjective number relative to how much money u have/ make

For the majority, it's a significant chunk of cheese!!

Reliability is further compounded in this sport by the length of season, cost to get ur machine to the trails , costs associated with getting stuck in the woods, vacation time lost for trip interruption, and among numerous others a significant portion of your season lost due to a breakdown!

My 2 cents
Good luck with ur decision!

Welcome to the site. I am a long time Yamaha fan and owner. I have/had every model they released since 2003. Nothing compares to the viper for a all around sled. You can boondock it and it floats like no other Yamaha. On the twisty trails the chassis is amazing and handles like a go kart.

My advise is this late in the year 12k is a little steep, they can be had for allot less OTD this time of year, plenty of them left at dealers. Like others have said you might also want to just wait and get a 2015.

Little birdy tells me that the 2015 will add the Mountain Max which is Viper with long track and narrow front end. Cat version will be M7000. At least that is the inside info I am being told.

:sled1:

I wont be surprised at all if thats the case. However, maybe the 2015's will have some updates to chaincases, hot start issues, etc.

DigitalFusion said:
I wont be surprised at all if thats the case. However, maybe the 2015's will have some updates to chaincases, hot start issues, etc.

That's right on the spot! I'm sure a re flash will be done but the only big issue that they see warrants a update is the stop for the servo motor. Mine will be here later today and i'll post pics of the install.

I love my XTX even with the issues that I have had. But with only a few weeks left in the season, I would snow check. Especially, if I had a sled to ride out the rest of the season. 12.5K is more than I paid to snow check mine last spring.

I seen Brights in Lincoln Park Mi has them for 10k, it is worth a phone call. I would love to get one at that price, however just buying a new house this year has kinda left me a little cash strapped till next year.
:4STroke: :yam: :rocks:

Back