• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ohlins Electronic shock problems AGAIN!

yamalou

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 SIDEWINDER 141 XTX SE, 07 ATTAK, 07 PHAZER
Does anyone have a sure fix for the wires getting ripped out of the shock selenoid. This is the 4th time this has happened, the first two times it was repaired by two different dealers, Christmas yamaha under warrenty now out of busness, and then BSA Yamaha in marquette which cost me $180 the third time I repaired it myself which lasted the longest, but still failed. any ideas??? :o|

I had the wire rip out of the shock as well .I got a new solenoid from Ohlins $60.00,but the next time I left a little slack between the solenoid and the skid to allow for some movement for when it freezes up with ice.Then I followed the Ohins update

Attachments

• Ohlins Shock Wire routing.pdf
    254.3 KB · Views: 708
Route as unclearpine posted and Use lots of zip-ties. Keep an eye for lost ties and replace. I used 15 or so on the skid and shock...Any place ice can form zip in down.... and double up on the shock zip-ties.

Also go to the hardware store and get some LONG zip ties say 10" or so you dont want the length but they beef up each zip tie so they are much harder to fail when under the load of the ice. Zip tie everywhere and it iwll be fine.

Thanks for the info guys, I thought I had it fixed the last time when I rapped the entire wire with electrical tape and ty wrapped it! Seems like the problem area is right at where the wires exit the solenoid. I'll try again

My wires did rip once ! I got it fixed and it worked for a month and now nothig works ! Brought it to the dealer and he cant figure out why it doesnt work. Seems like their is juice going in but he says it might be a malfunction in the cluster gauge ? Anyone with this problem ?

Since I bought a used sled with the ESC, it is my first experience with broken wires.

My question is, why didn't they make the harness and solenoid pigtail wires out of heavier gauge wire with a thicker jacket ? :o|

Not sure I would fix it again, probably a different shock would be in the works, don't know at this point.

Would like to thank all the members who have helped with getting my sled fixed.

Really looking forward to a winter without all that stinky smoke. :4STroke:

It would be nice to jacket the wire in a braided S.S. hose or something. Certainly not a pleasant environment under the tunnel. I was actually going to recommend using the electrical tape but apparently that didn't do it. As mentioned it seems the area right out of the solenoid. I think getting the right amount of slack without having too much (ice will hang off) is key.

Is it possible to replace the solenoid with a clicker?

normally what I would do is set the shock where I wanted it then unplug the wire before season. Then I don't have to worry about switching the settings and didn't have to worry about the wire getting ripped out. To be 100 percent honest, I didn't really notice a major different when turning the shock up or down. Just my opinion.

sledneck22 said:
normally what I would do is set the shock where I wanted it then unplug the wire before season. Then I don't have to worry about switching the settings and didn't have to worry about the wire getting ripped out. To be 100 percent honest, I didn't really notice a major different when turning the shock up or down. Just my opinion.

Yep. Just set it where you like it in case in breaks. And the wire will break if you get lots of ice back there or use scratchers like I do.. It's when, not if. If I'm not using scratchers the wire will last longer.

Back