• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ohlins front shocks with PDS

bjowett

Lifetime Member
Here are two sets of Ohlins Shocks I just had built. They are 36mm PDS ATV shocks, converted to snow use (ice scraper). One set is for my buds Apex GT, the other for my RS Rage with long arms. For adjustments they have low and high speed compression, along with rebound. My favorite part, the PDS (Progressive Dampening System), is a secondary piston and cup inside the shocks body. It engages during the last inch or so of travel, gives smooth landings and makes those oh sh*t moments a little nicer.

Apex shocks, single rate....
ohlinsapex.jpg

Rage long travel, dual rate, titanium springs....
ohlinsrage.jpg

Nothing odd about suspension... is there? Secondary suspension opens up a whole new world of tuning possibilities. The main benefit where I ride is being able to run my 4 stroke piggy lower to the ground and not have to up the dampening and spring rates too much. This gives good twisty turns performance and excellent large mogul capacity as the reduced up travel is not blown through so easily.

I should have the PDS installed in my buds mono skid within the next week.... can't wait to try that out!

I meant you pick a common part where upgrades exist and re-engineer them front to back using your wallet as the funds for the engineering.

example - Polaris seat, greasable tie rods, 136 skid that is how nature wanted it, monoshock Ti spring from motorcycle, keihin carbs, etc.

All good things dont get me wrong it just cracks me up to see what you dream up next. Keep it up!

While the wallet may pay for some top end stuff, it dosn't engineer these parts onto my sled. That would be a case of dropping my sled off at a tuner along with a credit card. That's not happening as I definetly like to build my own unique stuff. I've never cared to run with the sheep.... umm, err I mean pack. :tg: Glad you enjoy it. :Rockon:

Brian & I have been talkin quite a while now we both like to think out of the box and would say pay and learn you will enjoy it more that way . great stuff Brian I called the atv dept and so far no call back but they will they like my money Kim

The Apex GT is a beast with these! My buddy loves em', no more hard hits under that heavy front end. Smooth. I'll probably ride it this weekend and will post my thoughts.

penske/ custom axis also offers the same thing. Price? I think its aprox 150 more per shock. Zx2 suspesion also uses a version of this correct?

Yes, Axis does offer this now. The ZX2 also has a version (though a little different), as well as Fox offering it on their latest dirtbike shocks.

I rode the Apex yesterday. That front end is dialed! Plush when it needs to be, takes the big bumps like a Fox Float, and yet handles great.

what do you mean by rage long travel? i have an 05 rage center to center on the ski shocks is 16.5 inches. i bought ohlins from an apex 17.5 inches and i can't get the darn things to fit. help

Back