• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Change

Racer98

How long did it take to change the oil on your RX-1? I am planning to change the oil and filter this weekend and just wanted to get a feel for what I am up against.

I would give it at least two hours if this is your first time!
After you know what your up against that time will be cut in half!

First time it took me about 1.5 hours. Remove the battery and the box. Remove the belly cover and drain oil. Remove the elbow under the tank and there is a screen on the end of the elbow inside the tank, remove and clean. remove and replace filter.
Reverse and refill. Done. When you are done, you will think that $169.00 for the oil filter re-location kit is worth every penny.

Since this is your first oil change you will never get the filter off by hand. Put a bunch of oil rags under the filter and use a big pair of channel locks and cramp onto the filter and ream away. They put the filters on from the factory with sumo wrestlers.

Question while on the subject, I thought the manual was not very clear. Putting the oil in. Something like 2.1 qts in the sump tank, then the rest in the engine??

Thanks for all the info - I will take a hard look at the filter relo kit....

Racer98 said:
How long did it take to change the oil on your RX-1? I am planning to change the oil and filter this weekend and just wanted to get a feel for what I am up against.
HI, NEW TO THE SITE, JUST CHANGED MY OIL IN MY 03 RX1. TAKE OUT THE BATTERY, BATTERY BRACE AND TOOL BOX, SO YOU CAN PULL THE FILTER OUT THRU THE TOOL BOX CAVITY. PUT ON A NEW FILTER GREASE THE O-RING, PUT IT ALL BACK TOGERTGER. DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THE DRAIN PLUG BOLTS, I PUT ONE QRT OIL IN THE HEAD- VENT CAP BOLT ON TOP OF THE CYLINDER HEAD, THEN TWO QRTS IN THE TANK, STARTED THE THING UP, (NO ENGINE NOISE WHEN OIL IS IN THE TOP END- NO DAMAGE DONE ). LET IT WARM UP AFEW MINUTES, CHECK THE LEVEL AND TOP OFF. :4STroke:

I have a 03 and do my oil changes at the end of the season. At the end of my last season, when I removed the oil filter which I had previously installed (according to specs) the year before, I noticed that I was able to remove it simply by twisting it off by hand.

This probably explains the overtightening at the factory! I did not like the fact that it came off that easily, giving the potential that it could come off on its own. The next filter got a bit more than the usual 1/2 to 3/4 turn after gasket contact.

I know that the owner's manual gives the torque setting to use, but it's impossible to use a torque wrench in that location with the steering knuckle so close and in the way.

Even after all the warnings, I cannot believe how much of a pain everything was. My first Yamaha was an '82 SRV and I cannot recall ever seeing such poor engineering on one of their sleds. I started laughing when it came time to remove the battery bracket. And what the He!! is the deal with the side cover screws?? A few Dzous fasteners would make alot more sense to me... Phew, I sure am glad I don't have to spend an afternoon doing that again until next year

I'll be honest, I had a few thoughts about the Mach Z this afternoon

Back