• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil comsumption on 04warrior?

doc 4 stroke said:
don't waste your time either re ring or purchase a motor that has already been done. i have one for sale !!

Exactly I would ride the thing hard and just add oil. The amount you are talking about is like two days of hard riding half a litre per 500 miles I could handle that no problem.

I have an 04 Warrior with 10,000 miles on it now. If I use a 1/2 litre of oil in a season that would be it. Next to no oil consumption. All stock, motor never touched.

ring,s

of the moter,s i have torn down one with just under 5000 mile,s was only .005 tho out of spec . and had just started to use oil . the worst one had over .040 tho end gap . and the whole back of the sled was black and look realy ugly. once it was reringed no more oil loss and the back of the sled stayed clean. :flag:

Black j: When changing rings do you need to hone the cylinders or simply install the 05 rings?

Is there an increase in compression with proper end gap?

Is it a big job?

Thanks for the advice guys but my problem seems to be related to carbon build-up on the rings of the pistons(top of the pistons are black).If sowe owners can get over 10000 miles out of this motor with normal oil comsumption than the rings are not the cause.Went to the yamaha dealer and purchased a can of carbon cleaner,just have to wait to next season to test it out.Also got a can of seafoam as a last resort to add to the fuel but i will try the yamaha combustion chamber cleaner by letting it soak down in the cylinders first then run it,hope it works.

I have an 04 RX1 wtih 9,500 miles, and it uses about 1 quart in 1000 miles. Just had a leak down test and it was 5% across all cylinders one was at 6%. So other that putting in a little oil all is well.

I posted this before, but here it is again
FYI, here's what I did at the end of the season using seafoam. I removed the spark plugs and raised the back of the sled so the rear bumper was approx. 5 feet off the ground. Since the motor is angled backwards in the sled approximately 30 degrees, raising the sled this amount will make the top if the piston parallel with the ground. This would insure that the seafoam would contact the rings all the way around. I then put maybe 1 ounce or so of seafoam in each spark plug hole and turned the motor over by hand. I let the seafoam work for a couple of days occasionally turning the motor 1/2 a turn. After 2 days I used the starter to crank the motor over for 5 seconds and then lowered the sled to the floor and replaced the spark plugs. The sled fired right up with maybe a slight puff of smoke. After it warmed up it sure seems to idle smoother and I even think it starts easier. My exhaust tips seem to stay cleaner also. Oh, by the way, I removed the skis before I lifted the back, the front bumper will almost touch the ground this way if you lift it high enough.
I figured by doing it this way I could get concentrated Seafoam right to the rings.

R>R> Seems like alot of guys have tried this route. and many have had sucess in the last few years. I'm gonna do this before I put mine away too! Thanks for reminding me. Honk

low slung said:
My oil was change on the warrior at 2910miles,at 3600miles it has use about 1USquart and a half of motor oil,is this normal?What can i do to fix it?(keep in mind i dont leave in canada so i cannot buy RING-FREE,wish i knew a place in the US i could by some).
What type oil grade you running...In my 03, came to do the oil change and the dealer did not have any 5w30. So I went with 0w30 he gave me, and first trip out about 450km, oil warning came on and took about 8oz to fill. Not impressed, returned trip the same. I thought I had a leak & cut my trip short. Inspected everything, no leak. Call the dealer, they told me to come get my oil I ordered 5w30 and put it in. With 5w30 (stick with it) I go my 2000kms before oil changes and no consumption. And make sure the update were done to the crankcase vent hose in the airbox...

maybe some of you guys should find a dealer that is straight up. there is a spec sheet from yamaha that shows the difference between the 03-04 rings & the 05 and newer. the ring material was changed (no longer chrome) and the ring tension was increased on the compression and oil rings!

if you only ride 2000k a year look at the time they bought by post phoning long past the warranty period.

not all riders ride the same trails or the same speeds therefore the results vary. i have personal experience on this issue and am very content that i took the time to dothe updated rings because when the snow is here i ride thousands of k and high speed. i was tired of the band aids and the time it consumed !! since the update it has never required oil between oil changes !

doc

It has been asked a few times, but not yet answered. Can someone who has done the ring update talk about how big a job it is? I have an 03 and an 04. I have not noticed any issue with oil consumption on either one, but am interested in how difficult it is to put in the new rings, just in case I start to have issues. I plan on keeping these sleds for awile since I still smile ear to ear every time I squeeze the trottle. Great sleds that should last forever. :-o

it is a big under taking !! it's a lot bigger task than any two stroke !! its about 5 hr just to re and re the motor and probally about 8 hr on the bench and you might want to add a couple of hours for careful and detail !!! its an off season project but when done its well worth it !!!!!!!

doc

Back