• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil info

Oil consumption

I didn't use any til after first change at 800 miles. I used abou 1.5 quarts the next 1000 miles. Alot of my riding that 1000 was on the lake at high speeds. I think more oil is used at high speeds than at say 50 mph trail riding.

That sounds about right. I did not use a drop until after 1200 miles. Then I used about a qt per 1000 miles. I ended the season with 3179 miles.

snowman is right.... If your not burning oil your not riding hard enough :lol: I went through a litre every 1000 miles

There may be some truth to that... This engine has unregulated crankcase ventilation into the airbox. At high speeds that oil may be atomized and flushed out in the vent.

I'm thinking that a PCV valve would help, oriented such that out is up, and even better than a simple PCV valve would be a PCV valve with a condenser and a return straight into the oil can.

oil

Anyone that rode hard,and i mean wfo all day will use a qt. every 200-300 miles at 10,500 rpms constantly,and lb and myself think most of it is being pushed by the crankcase line into the airbox and out thru carbs.

I think that what I'm going to do for next year is pick up a condenser with a drain line. I'm going to situate it such that cold air flows over it. Then I'm going to do a day of WOT runs up and down the lake for a hundred km or so and see if and how much oil I collect off the condenser. After I've got the numbers, I'll post them and I'll probably hook the drain into the oil can and just leave the condenser there.

1850 miles, very little consumption...but also...based on the theory that high speed runs equal more consumption would explain why. I do not run mine on lakes very often, 80% trail, 15% off trail, 5% lake/high speed.

Back