• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Leak

Simon Forest

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2010 Vector
We had enough snow a few weeks ago I was able to put close to 10 km on my 2010 Vector in a local field. After that ride I noticed oil on the garage floor under the sled. Done a lot of searching the forums about oil leaks & my conclusion is the oil is leaking out the small drain hole on the bottom RHS (when seated on sled) towards the front of the air box. I've read on here that there's supposed to be a small hose with a weak spring clip holding the hose to the nipple on the air box drain. This hose is supposed to direct the oil in the air box back to the crank case. I've got everything apart & I don't see any small hose in the area of the air box. It seems unlikely to me that the drain from the air box would be directed back to the crank because there would also be water in the airbox from melting snow. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Last edited:

That isn't a drain on the intake, that is part of the PCV system. Not having that hose attached will result it A LOT of oil dumping out in a fairly short time!

I bet either your oil level is too high or the oil filter is leaking. Had the same problem a few years back.

Completely dry around the oil filter. The last time oil was added was the beginning of last season. I was about to do this years oil change, so I don't think the level could have been too high. I think Smokingcrater is on the right track. I just can't find a hose that would have been connected to the nipple at the bottom of the air box. The nipple is located close to where the line from #4 is pointing.

upload_2014-12-7_20-46-41.png

Could hose # 24 be the one I'm looking for?

upload_2014-12-7_20-48-32.png

theres 2 nipples coming off the breather box, one is a big one, and on the very very bottom facing the bellypan theres a smaller diameter (1/2"ish) nipple, on the same side as the oil resevoir look down and to your left behind the brake disc, youll see a hose that is attached to the engine block and it will be just laying down in the bottom, get a flashlight youll see it.

heres the only pic i could find, but this is the hose you need attached to the bottom. notice the spring clip on the end, its a real bitch to get on, you have to hold the breatherbox up while its out of the carb boots, stretch the hell out of the hose to get it to attach to the nipple. Make sure that the engine area is warmed up prior to doing this, if you try stretching a cold hose your gonna rip it

Attachments

• 22222.jpg
    22222.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 222
Have you checked your oil tank for cracks at the bottom where it attaches to the frame? They are known to crack and leak. I replaced 3 tanks on my old '06 Nytro and one on my wives '06 Vector.

he said theres no hose on the bottom of his breather box, there definitely needs to be one there

Everything was bone dry around the oil reservoir & around the oil filter. I haven't had a chance yet to look for the hose in the pic you posted J1635. If it's down there, it's not under the brake disc. It must be behind the frame that's behind the chain case. It'll be fun to get to it.
There's actually 3 nipples on my air box. One on each side of the back of the air box & the subject one at the front RH bottom. It's the only one that faces down & drains the bottom of the box. I still don't understand how the air box should be drained into the crank. There's sure to be water contamination mixed with the oil.

Is the 2010 airbox the same as a 2014 airbox? Exception being the 2010 has carbs and the 2014 has efi. I need to look at the fiche and will edit this post.

2010 was the first year of EFI for the Vector.
Yes you are correct. Just got done looking at the fiche. I've had my new 2014 apart and back together so many times I should have this all memorized but I don't....on the rear/back side of the airbox, there is one hose for sure that attaches to the RS rear of the box and is there also one on the LS rear? I know there's the sensor plug that attaches to the LS side of the airbox.

You just got to make sure that all these hoses are attached completely. The RS rear one is the one if you don't put it on, oil will get puked out very quickly!

Yes you are correct. Just got done looking at the fiche. I've had my new 2014 apart and back together so many times I should have this all memorized but I don't....on the rear/back side of the airbox, there is one hose for sure that attaches to the RS rear of the box and is there also one on the LS rear? I know there's the sensor plug that attaches to the LS side of the airbox.

You just got to make sure that all these hoses are attached completely. The RS rear one is the one if you don't put it on, oil will get puked out very quickly!

Now you've got me wondering about #24. Dang! I just put all the covers back on last night1

So does the fiche show a hose connected to the front RH bottom nipple on the air box?

Simon Forest said:
So does the fiche show a hose connected to the front RH bottom nipple on the air box?
You have a nipple on the bottom of YOUR airbox?

Back