• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Once again, can't say enough about how important it is to check your clutches

Thunder Products

Making your sled the best!
TY Advertiser
Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha, Polaris, AC and Ski-Doo
WEBSITE
www.thunderproductsclutching.com
*** Important note for all of us sledders ***

We all know how to have fun and ride sleds, but I just want to stress how important it is to do some maintenance on your clutches. No matter who you are, how you ride or who you know…it only takes 1 time for a clutch to explode to harm you or change your life.

This is a close, personal friend of mine that this happened to. He always pays attention to detail, has some of the fastest turbo sleds on ice and always makes sure his sleds are gone through….but this time got him.

Read his story as this was just posted….

A friend wanted me to share this with the group this morning. I have to take my beating for my stupidity last night.

"I was installing one of our programmable ignition systems on a Pro Stock Sled last night, that went fantastic. We had the sled lifted off the ground, and I broke my cardinal rule of standing on the clutch side of a sled. The sled was only running about 4,500 RPMs and the primary clutch let go, sending pieces of the clutch to the floor, but not in the air. I felt a piece hit me in the foot, and I noticed a hole in my shoe. I seen blood starting to come through my shoe, and I thought that I lost two of my toes. It turned out to be deep lacerations, and I broke two of my toes, and I believe I broke the top of my foot... I'm still not sure yet, but I'm walking on it. Anyways the trip must go on, as I have more ignition systems to install this week.

Long story short, one... Never stand on the clutch side of the sled, as I knew better, and it's the result. Number two, do not argue when promotions are recommending 360°, or full enclosure clutch covers, there is obviously a reason. I'm very fortunate that the good Lord was looking over me, as it could have been so much worse for myself, and those standing around the sled."

Attachments

• 270061441_6724266407615660_821484182040563875_n.jpg
    270061441_6724266407615660_821484182040563875_n.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

This is so strange...A buddy was just up north over new years and his son adjusted the suspension on his new sled for him, but there was a distraction and my buddy came out to the side panel open on the sled. So he shut it and went for a ride. Apparently the son had just set the wrench on the clutch guard, and when my buddy shut it they think the wrench fell on the belly pan under the clutches. 5 mins later on a lake he hit a bump and it threw the wrench into the clutches and spit out the footwell and breaking 3 of his toes!

Never in my life have I seen broken toes from a sled, and now within a week we have two different ways to accomplish this! Lesson learned and I may need to go billet clutch on my twincharged apex, I am already worried about my cast clutch and spinning to 12-13k with gobs of weight, this may get me to spend the money on some billet goodness.

Thanks for sharing, its a good reminder to be safe fellas, these machines can really hurt you!

*** Important note for all of us sledders ***

We all know how to have fun and ride sleds, but I just want to stress how important it is to do some maintenance on your clutches. No matter who you are, how you ride or who you know…it only takes 1 time for a clutch to explode to harm you or change your life.

This is a close, personal friend of mine that this happened to. He always pays attention to detail, has some of the fastest turbo sleds on ice and always makes sure his sleds are gone through….but this time got him.

Read his story as this was just posted….

A friend wanted me to share this with the group this morning. I have to take my beating for my stupidity last night.

"I was installing one of our programmable ignition systems on a Pro Stock Sled last night, that went fantastic. We had the sled lifted off the ground, and I broke my cardinal rule of standing on the clutch side of a sled. The sled was only running about 4,500 RPMs and the primary clutch let go, sending pieces of the clutch to the floor, but not in the air. I felt a piece hit me in the foot, and I noticed a hole in my shoe. I seen blood starting to come through my shoe, and I thought that I lost two of my toes. It turned out to be deep lacerations, and I broke two of my toes, and I believe I broke the top of my foot... I'm still not sure yet, but I'm walking on it. Anyways the trip must go on, as I have more ignition systems to install this week.

Long story short, one... Never stand on the clutch side of the sled, as I knew better, and it's the result. Number two, do not argue when promotions are recommending 360°, or full enclosure clutch covers, there is obviously a reason. I'm very fortunate that the good Lord was looking over me, as it could have been so much worse for myself, and those standing around the sled."
thanks so much for the post and the advise. I was just adjusting my belt and standing by the clutch...little did I know. I hope you heal up quickly and thanks for the tip. Joe

This was posted on FB just 2 days ago.

This guy here was very lucky also. Notice the footwell and only 521 miles.

Yes, this was a low hpr 2 stroke

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220102-124818_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220102-124818_Facebook.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 277
  • Screenshot_20220102-124845_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220102-124845_Facebook.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Screenshot_20220102-125043_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220102-125043_Facebook.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 252
What are the tell tale signs, if any, that this could happen?
I too go through everything with a fine tooth comb.
2017 ZR6000RS, non roller primary, manual adjust secondary 9600 miles
-very close inspection, new springs, weights & pins this season. All looks good.
2018 ZR6000 El Tigre, roller primary, self adjusting secondary 3600 miles
-very close inspection, next season new springs, weights & pins. All looks good.
Not even a hint of cracking on any sheaves.
Is there a common theme to where these let go?

This was posted on FB just 2 days ago.

This guy here was very lucky also. Notice the footwell and only 521 miles.

Yes, this was a low hpr 2 stroke
I would contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission (Public Incident Reporting - SaferProducts). Submit an official complaint with all your documentation. Then, I would contact Arctic Cat directly (218) 681-9851; Customer Care | Arctic Cat) and let them know what happened and that you have contacted the CPSC The only way for possible reimbursement is to report this,and helps others with the same issue.

All Reports filed with pictures to the CPSC are submitted to AC which has to legally answer the complaint.The more the better that submit the link to submit is above

What are the tell tale signs, if any, that this could happen?
I too go through everything with a fine tooth comb.
2017 ZR6000RS, non roller primary, manual adjust secondary 9600 miles
-very close inspection, new springs, weights & pins this season. All looks good.
2018 ZR6000 El Tigre, roller primary, self adjusting secondary 3600 miles
-very close inspection, next season new springs, weights & pins. All looks good.
Not even a hint of cracking on any sheaves.
Is there a common theme to where these let go?

Inspect the clutch very closely like you have been doing.

Check the cover, especially by the drill points where they balance.

A racer last night called me from the Pine Lake races. His sled was in his trailer just after taking a run on the course. They wheeled the sled inside and heard a big snap! The cover cracked in half just sitting there.

I would contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission (Public Incident Reporting - SaferProducts). Submit an official complaint with all your documentation. Then, I would contact Arctic Cat directly (218) 681-9851; Customer Care | Arctic Cat) and let them know what happened and that you have contacted the CPSC The only way for possible reimbursement is to report this,and helps others with the same issue.

All Reports filed with pictures to the CPSC are submitted to AC which has to legally answer the complaint.The more the better that submit the link to submit is above

And also your dealer

If you have any friends in nondestructive testing have them test the clutches for cracks using dye pentrant. If propertly cleaned it is a 30 min inspection at room temp.

If you have any friends in nondestructive testing have them test the clutches for cracks using dye pentrant. If propertly cleaned it is a 30 min inspection at room temp.
We use those at work after a machine crash, they are pretty spendy, but i guess if you are checking every off season, not the worst investment.

Back