• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

opinions on skis

tmk50 said:
bholmlate said:
quite a few people seem to go back to the 08-09 MTX stock ski becasue of its all around performance in all snow conditions. I read somewhere that they were loosely designed around the powder pro ski so that might be the reason they work pretty well for all different snow conditions

The 08-09 skis are the same ones they used from 05-11 on all the mountain sleds and those are the ones I am going back to on my 2012. Yes they perform like powder pros and are very similar. I put Powder Pros on my 2003 RX1M and when I stepped up to the Apex Mtn in 2006 I noticed the ski designs were very similar. I liked the Yamaha ones better, I had issues with the powder pros "catching an edge" in hardpack snow and jerking the bars around. I never could figure out how to adjust that out of the powder pros. Other than that they were a great upgrade for the RX1M and worked a lot better than the pizza cutters that were stock.

Wondering how to tell what type of ski is on my Venture TF? It is a wider mountain type ski with a wider nose and one deep keel going staright down the middle. Is there a number on the ski somewhere, etc? Does anyone have pics of the two skis discussed here or especially the ski that is similar to the powder pro? I didn't know Yamaha made a ski like that.
thanks,

tmk50 said:
Have you ridden the stock skis?

I think you will like them more than you think. I am trading my 2012 skis to get a set off a 2011 for this season. The 2012s might float a little better, but I like the "bite" of the larger keels on the older stock skis for off trail riding.

I would give the stock skis an honest try before making a move - I think air-frame boards are a better use of money for riding in deep snow if you haven't done that already.

Dutchie:

I'm with tmk50, ....use the money for Airframe boards(love, love, love 'em) or some other mod you want, and keep the stocker ski's. I did 1000km's last season on my '11 MTX skis and they worked really well. I have 7" slydog powderhounds on my XTX. They work great for blower powder and trails, but are very edgy in set up or tracked out snow....so I still perfer the stocker MTX skis

This year, I switched to Polaris Grippers, mostly for weight (-4lbs), and having just come back from a 150km ride today both on trail (50km's) and off (100km's), I didn't notice much difference from the stockers. Both are very similar.

The one thing I did notice is the Grippers seem to initiate a body roll a bit easier. It is slightly narrower (6.5") than the stocker (7.0"), so maybe that has something to do with it. It doesn't dive, just turns in easier. I'd say we were in 10-16" of freshy today with a fair bit of wind slab in places just to keep you on your toes, so for us....pretty standard snow. I am sure with 24"+ of freshy, I'd probably wish the ski was wider, but hey, they are all compromises......

OTM

I will add my 2c since I am finally gettting some rides on this thing...
When I got this sled, it had Simmons Gen 2's. The boys called them the "Daffy Duck feet". Well I had a heck of a time pulling it over and sidehilling in the bottomless powder of Revelstoke...so I removed the swaybar and put on stock Yammy mountain skis. WORLD of difference! Pulls over easy and holds a sidehill with no problems now. Maybe a bit darty on the trail, but I didn't buy this thing to trail ride. Two guys I rode with have Slydogs on their MCX-Nytros, and they seem real nice, but I will probably stay with the stockers for a while now.

yep , i decided to keep mine , after my new skinz A-arms and new evol shocks , i'm really love'n my sled , just need to get it to revy and some big fresh powder to see what it's like

Back