• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Painting the side panel?

lawmanbsi

Expert
I've seen several sleds that had the side panels painted. Being that it is a flexible plastic, what's the best way to paint them? Can it be done with spray paint and not flake off?

The side panels have to be sanded smooth & primered first.

Even with plastic bonding paint, they are too rough to get good adhesion without good prep work.

Again, plastic bonding paint needs to be used. $.99 Krylon won't cut it.

i had mine done, the body shop used a product to get rid of the molding agent (some sort of creme past they wash them with), they then treated them with a product called speez, primered them with high build primer, sand smooth and then painted normally - base and clear. they did my phazer and my sons nytro panels for $225

Nate007 is a good guy to ask, he does his sleds. I had my FX Nytro side panels done by a body shop, I do know they add a flex agent to the paint and clear coat.

paint

salestim said:
Any photos of painted panels? Thanks

Click on the pics for close up cheers...

Attachments

• PERRY-COMEAU-long[1].jpg
    PERRY-COMEAU-long[1].jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 209
My body guy said the new paints today are way more adhesive than years ago. I had not flaking not issues on my side panels or the nose cone. 2100 miles.

Attachments

• apex20101 (2).JPG
    apex20101 (2).JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 2008 apex2.JPG
    2008 apex2.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 179
I'm going to try it myself first. If I mess it up I can strip it off and have it done professionally.

1) clean the panels to remove oils and mold release.
2) scuff panels for better adhesion.
3) Spray high built primer
4) sand smooth
5) paint
6) clearcoat
7) New graphics

This is a pretty basic step outline. if you would, add the steps I'm missing.

monte1214 said:
- I just ordered one of Peter's kits Helmic.
- I ordered the red Sappharire for my 06 RTX.

- Obviously you're happy with it?
- Did you do the install yourself?

Yes I installed it my self.Just take your time and use a spray bottle with 9/10 water and 1/10 dish soap and spray the part before installing the grafix.That way you get time to move the grafix the way you want.After you have it were you want just use a plastic putty squeegee and remove the air bubbles and water by squeeging it to the side of your grafix.Hop that helps Perry...

Back