• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil pan removal

max rolph

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
998 turbo
ok soo the oil leak i have since just getting back from stage 6 build at TD is the oil pan,... it looks like i should be able to take bottom aluminum pan of by drilling out rivets and then take side belly panels off by drilling out rivets. will this give me access to all the bolts on oil pan?? already did the mag cover gasket as it was leaking aswell!! that was a finger crushing bitch to do. i asked TD mechanic why he never shelacked the gaskets with permatex spray or silicone.... i always use it and have never had an engine leak... ever... its only insurance against a bitch job like this. they said they would fix but its another 5 hours out and leaving it there for another month is not in the cards... they had it since feb till june.

Must not have been cleaned very well prior to assembly. I have done 3 998 engines so far in my shop and have never had an oil leak. Must pay very close attention to proper cleaning of both surfaces without gouging aluminum surfaces. I do not use any kind of sealants, just new Yamaha gaskets.

With two engine oil leaks just back from engine builder it makes one think what else is messed up. Sounds like a Friday build.

the block was completely acid cleaned and re nickled, i know he took his time building over the period of weeks in fact, i always spray my non coated gaskets... just for security. he didnt. once i coated the mag gasket and retorqued all good.

Back