• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pebble in the gas tank

Apex_GT

Expert
My buddy decided to use a Jerry can with a pebble floating around..Sure enough he heard a plunk and it sunk to the bottom...Now he tosses and turns at night thinking about it...Peace of mind nowhere to be found..Anyone know of a way to get it out...Please help my buddy sleep better..Were going to cochrane this weekend and I really don't want to hear about this pebble slowing the SRX down and thats why my apex gt kicked his #*$&@..

Tom-RX1 said:
empty the tank turn it upsidedown and shake the pebble out .
Tom-RX1

Yea that should work but I would take the tank off the sled first. lol j/k Another way that might work also is to run the sled dry of fuel tilt the sled to one side or the other so you know roughly where the pebble will be then lift the rear of the sled up until the pebble is cornered in the tank so to speak. Now use a very clean vacuum hose and aim for that corner. You could also put some kind of cloth or screen down line on the vacuum hose to see when you are done if you got it. If you listen to the hose you should hear it get picked up and sucked to your catch screen. Good luck let us know how you make out.

Now use a very clean vacuum hose and aim for that corner. You could also put some kind of cloth or screen down line on the vacuum hose to see when you are done if you got it. If you listen to the hose you should hear it get picked up and sucked to your catch screen. Good luck let us know how you make out.

That's a really good idea..Thanks..I'll let ya know how it works out..[/quote]

It will work cant see why it wont. One thing to keep in mind is you are going to be sucking some air and fuel at the same time. Yea you see where I am going make darn sure you are well ventilated and no one smoking. Set the vacuum outside the shop or garage so it vents outside.

The pebble will not hurt anything leaving it in there. You can go to the auto parts store and buy a claw or grabber on a flexible shaft to reach down and pick this up. I do not know what they are called, but I have seen them. If you go the vacuum route, make sure the motor is in another room. I had a friend vacuuming his boat in the cuddy cabin and the funes ignited on the vacuum motor and blew him right out of the boat and into the water. Not a pretty sight.

What Boston said, watch the vaccum the brushes are continuly arching and could ignite fumes. Buy a long claw grabber at auto parts and snag it right out.

I shouldn't tell this story but I had gotten some water in my fuel so I got busy and was shinning a small flash light into the tank to see if I could see anymore. Well in goes the light and it is laying in the bottom of the tank illuminating everything. I cant tell the thoughts that went through my mind. Finally fished it out with a cloths hanger, just as bright as ever.

Good luck with the rock.

Most auto mechanics now use pnuematic pumps for extracting fluids from cars (safe for flammable fluids). I bought one from Sears online for $100. I'm sure any auto shop can pull it out in a couple minutes.

Back