• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer gas mileage

Eric...how large a guy are you? What kind of fuel are you using?

Stock '09 GT... best, 23+MPG (160 mi or so/tank): that was in dry fluffy snow at low temps, taking it easy cruising at 60 MPH max and plenty of twisties with 91 ethanol-free. Worst, less than 100 mi./tank, that was heavy, wet April snow (she was working HARD!) at 40+ degrees F and lots of flat-out running on 89 mid-grade with ethanol. Short story: VERY variable with conditions, and I think for me represents the outer limits on both sides of temps + speed/snow conditions.

Not so sure it is just talk, many get good mileage, and on groomed trails I do as well. But pushing snow over the front end all day takes a toll. I am putting on a larger float plate to see if that helps.

x2 what cannondale said, clutching will make a HUGE impact on your mileage if its incorrect. When Im cruising and not bagging it, my revs came down considerably overall with the Ulmer primary/YVX secondary w/41* helix. Ive never actually measured my milage because back-country and ditch riding has so much track spin I'd never get an accurate #. But driving the same routes/areas I usually do it seemed like at least 25% more range after my clutch was set-up/repaired. Like literally had about a 1/4 tank left where I would usually be filling up prior.

Schmidt has a comfort kit too that will lower your take off/low speed revs, if I remember right.

The stock clutching is nothing short of stupid. Tapping the rev limiter all the time which is above peak HP anyway, too high revs cruising, and more engine braking than I care for.

Get your clutch set up proper and it will feel like a new machine, seriously! Call Ulmer or Schmidt and have a discussion on the phone, they will set you up. Schmidt seems to have more options available.

Good luck

I've never figure out mileage on mine. Guys I ride with put in 40-45 and I put it 18-22bucks :p

Mike, I see a dealership in SK has a 14 XTX for a decent price. Good guys??

talked to Schmidt. They recommend a stage 2 clutch for $279, new front springs (stock are way too soft) for $100 each and a new sway bar for $279. Gonna have to save my pennies to started working on this now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Do the newer phazers do any better/worse on mileage? I ready reports like http://www.moto123.com/motorcycle-r...long-term-trail-test-part-two.spy?artid=94596
where they talk about 170 miles to a tank, and then read comments like the above and wonder what is going on. I just bought a 2014 phazer xtx and one of the primary reasons was because my 550 Polaris shift only got 5 mpg in ditch powder and 6 mpg overall. I was expecting the phazer to be much, much better.

MTX riders (and others with longer tracks)....what have you seen for mileage over the years and in what riding conditions?

Thank you,

Hey guys, flyinhigh,

Well I thought I'd update here today. Went for a ride with srxtwins. Met at my place, fueled up together and ended the day at his place. 4km from mine. Heading home, braking hard to pound some drifts I got some sputtering. OMG, looked down, relocated bracket with windshield off, and light was on with 1bar. Made it to station (luckily only 1/2 km from my driveway ) and topped it off.
So I guess I can post my mileage.
Today I rode 155km or 97miles.
Fueled up at 24l or 6.34g
Doing math, that's 24.4MPG
Reg unleaded, -15c, 70-80km/h cruising minor playing. Reset trip at same station I fueled at this morning.

Flyinhigh, that report would have to be Kms at that range which may have led to the confusion.

So, I have changed out the clutching and the belt - now if I get some snow I will report back on the difference in mileage.

I own two Phazers, a 2007 GT and a 2008 GT, both are 121' tracks, the 2007 has a 1.5" free ride (great improvement), the 2008 has the stock ripsaw 1", they both get between 18 and 20 mpg trail riding at 40-60 mph, big improvement over my old Arctic cats at 7-8 mpg and much more fun to ride!!

Back