• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer turbo install

grimis99

First off i will start out and say i know that many people think that turboing a phazer is a bad idea but i had the sled already (and its paid for) and got the turbo used for fairly cheap. Had posted in Mountain section but didnt get many responses.
I pulled the trigger on a used mcxpress turbo kit finally. I am just wondering if anyone has the install manual in a pdf file or something similar so i can make a few copies. The kit i bought has less than 1000km and has a different exhaust and intake plus the clutching. I have a few questions that someone can hopefully answer.
1) as stated before looking for a digital copy of install manual?
2) The clutching was done for a 151 track so will it make a huge difference if i use it with my stock 144, gonna get a 151 next year(as long as i run same boost and shim)?
3) Would it be possible to run low boost like 6psi without the headshim as i need to keep it on pump gas. Will do headshim more than likely but just curious?
4) Anything else i should watch out for?
5) What is the stock setting on the turbo bov, how many turns, just want to check mine so its not cranked up too high, the guy i bought from couldnt remember if it was at 14 or 11psi?
6) The manual says i need a tool to install the oil filter spacer, just wondering exactly what it is.
Thanks for any help

We did not install the spacers in the kits we did as there was too much negative affect before boost at our elevation (10,000'+). We run up to 10 PSI. I have heard of people at sea level running 6 or 7 without the shim. I don't know if they had issues, but I know we are close to the limit here at 10.
I don't think a pdf of the manual is available.
The tool in question six is a nut with a set screw built in to remove the nipple from the block.

Thanks for the response. I guess i may be able to build a tool then if i cannot get one cheaply. I will probably just use the head shim as i live at 2800' and may go east to 1500'ish and try and go to golden and revy as much as possible.

I have been doing more research about the turbo kits and trying to make sure i have everything that i need when the time comes to do the install. I am waiting on the head shim to be shipped out and discovered that the pcv controller(whatever compensates boost for altitude) was missing but got ahold of the dealership and am now getting a boost tee to manually control the boost, i like to have more control anyway. Just wondering if anything needs to be changed or if the kit will just recognize that the boost is being manually controlled.

I have been digging through old posts to try and find all the answers to my questions, but keep coming up with new questions. The turbo on a sled is new to me, but i do have a supercharged truck and just found something i may have overlooked. In post 12 of this link they talk about a bosch bov. http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... er&start=0 i noticed that my kit doesnt have one or seem to have a place for it to mount. Is everyone running a Bov or how does the kit handle the boost when you let off?
Sorry for the long posts but i am just trying to solve headaches now instead of when the sleds in a million pieces.
thanks

my phazer has a manual boost controller and the automatic one is still hooked up. There should be a bov in the mcx kit. It tees off the hose that runs to the Intercooler. It would be just above the oil filter.

grimis99 give me a call at the shop here. I have installed a few mc kits on phazers. I can help you out and give you pointers.
Jeff
Quantum Velocity Performance
403-341-4012

QVPerformance said:
grimis99 give me a call at the shop here. I have installed a few mc kits on phazers. I can help you out and give you pointers.
Jeff
Quantum Velocity Performance
403-341-4012

Another fine person to deal with without wanting a dollar to help.
Not sure in Alberta where you are Jeff, but admirable to see decent advice come forward when a person is in need. I found many big name shops/namebrands so ignorant when a peron needs advice or help with even thier own product
Kudos to you!

Thanks for the responses. I found the bov, i honestly thought it was something else. The thing that screwed me up is that there is a bosch style bov on the cover of the install instuctions in the bottem right corner by the head shim(this is in the picture of all the parts included). I appreciate the phone number jeff and if i decide to do the head shim i will probably give you a shout as the instructions are a little bit lacking in this part.
I also cant say enough good about the dealership were i got the kit used from. Once they found out that i would like to do the install myself they actually got ahold of a local guy that they have sold a couple of apexs and turbos to and sounds like he would be willing to help with the motor if i take it to his shop. Also before they would let me leave the shop i had to talk to the tech for 15-20minutes. From the way he talked the motor work is the only thing that should give me trouble.
I am still a little bit torn on whether or not to do the head shim.

I would do the headshim. Sooner or later you are going to want to turn it up a couple of pounds and having the shim in there will make it alot more tolerant to the extra boost.

update

Just wanted to post a little update and ask for some help. Myself and a buddy did the install over the last two days. Put everything back together and now have an engine code 15 and 30 coming up. 15 is the throttle position sensor and 30 is oil pressure. Havnt done much with the throttle position yet, gonna start with the wiring we tied into( also we had to adjust the throttle cable when we put handle bars back but that shouldnt affect the tps should it?). The oil pressure is giving us greif as we cannot seem to get oil to the turbo through the supply line. We took off the line and are filling the turbo with a bottle and are getting vacuum at the supply line. Any suggestions would be appreitiated.

Another thing, i bought the kit used and the oil return line had heated up and cracked so i changed it with oil resistant hose good for 300psi. Just wondering how important is it to run the exact return line that came with the kit. I used the same ends and the diameter is the same but its not the original part.
thanks

got the sled going. Had to fix some wiring and jamm on a little more air to the oil tank. Wasnt sure how much i had to do but looks like shes running alright with good oil flow.

I know this post is old but here is a shot in the dark. Did you ever find a manual to install this or did you just figure it out? I just picked up a used turbo kit as well and would like to install over the summer..

Back