• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer weirdness...likely ground block issue?

StinkyFingers

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Viper Xtx-LE
09 Gt, low KMS. New battery 2 mos ago.

Ran fine with no issues since I've owned it 2 or 3 years. 2 weekends ago was pretty damn cold, went to start in morning, had to use my trickle charger to get it goin. Kids ran it most of the day with zero probs, starting it up again. Then later in the day they shut it off for 10 min,. and it wouldn't fire, and needed boosted to get going again. Got it going, and right away noticed RPM's kept dropping to 1200 or lower, and only way to keep it going was holding the throttle.

Brought it back to camp, checked codes in bank 61 and it had 46 and 84. (I know the 84 is the TORS). Anyways, I cleared the codes and parked it for the week. Came back to the sled last weekend after sitting there for the week in minus 15-20 weather, and it fired up and ran no problem throughout the weekend.

Anyone have these symptoms before? Curious if its the bad ground problems? Aside from the regular battery cable, there is 2 addt'l wires (maybe 3 wires - not near sled right now). I didn't look into it more yet.

thoughts? Is it possible that clearing the codes could have fixed things (temporarily perhaps until it somehow goes a little crazy again)?

make sure all the plugs by the battery are fully seated as well as on the voltage regulator. some times a wire starts walking out of the plugs and causes issues.

make sure all the plugs by the battery are fully seated as well as on the voltage regulator. some times a wire starts walking out of the plugs and causes issues.

99% sure they're fine on the battery (neg terminal). But will check the regulator too. Thanks. I'm not sure if this sled had the ground block update or not. If not, was thinking this may be the cause. Not sure.

There's another smaller ground wire that comes off the battery terminal that has caused issues. It can corrode or work itself loose.

Phazer Neg Batt Connector.jpg

Welp sled fired up Thursday night no problem then yesterday started throwing code 46 and wouldnt start without a boost when boys were riding. Poked around a bit all wires connectors seem tight and yellow ground block not burnt up that I could see. It's minus 800 out so didn't look too long. Did find the 3a fuse which was blown though not sure what it's for. What are the chances it's the stator? Hoping not as just want to let the kids ride it for another couple weekends out front. Sleds only got 5000 km's so not sure what's up. Hasn't been ridden hard either.

If you get it started with a booster, check the battery voltage. Should be in the 14v range. Recheck all your grounds.

Found this old thread that has an indication it could be the stator. Also look at the voltage regulator and battery.
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/code-46-what-causes-this.128163/

Will do once it warms up a bit. One other point the kids mentioned last night, when they came to a stop they had to keep on the throttle to keep it from stalling and the reverse light started flashing not didn't engage etc, would a bad stator cause this too or that would likely point more towards wiring/ground issue?

Maybe if low voltage is the cause. Low voltage and bad grounds can cause all sorts of weird gremlins.

Sled was off, battery tested at 13v but had it in trickle charge all night. Fired it up, idling cold at about 2200 rpm and the voltage at battery is 11.8.

Time to check the stator. Between each wire, should be 0.22-0.26 ohm at 20c. And there should be nothing from ground to each wire. If that checks out, you'll have to check the voltage regulator.

There have been a few stators dying lately. It's like a pandemic!

Back