• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Picks and 136" Ripsaws?

4Fighter

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'07 Attak GT
My dealer advised against it, (studs are too long, put added stress on track) but I know it would be safer.

What do you think? Have you experienced any issues? How many miles on the tracks that have them?

Ive got 2450 miles on my sled.. Last 1100 with 130 1.370 studs down the middle! NO PROBLEMS

DONT LISTEN TO DEALERS... THEY DONT KNOW POOP ABOUT SLEDS!!! They do whatever the manufacture tells them!

First of all, a dealer will tell you every time to not stud, at least all in my experience.

Secondly, I put on a new ripsaw Jan 30th, didn't stud it yet, took it for a spin around my yard, hit a 50 yd patch of ice, and face planted myself after two 360's due to no traction.

I am a STRONG advocate for studding. Between going too hot into an icy corner, putting around on a lake, or my weird circumstance where I was running at 25mph and about wrecked myself.

I have run tracks that have been studded brand new, and have run them after "stretching" them out and then studded, and have had no issues with tear outs ever.

The ONLY downside that i see to studding the track is the additional weight and slight speed loss.

I have the new predrilled 1.25 x 136" with 162 woodys up the middle. I run my track with 3/4" drop or loosness. NO PROBLEMS.

I would love to have some of the weed your dealer is smoking. LOL

Well Brian there ya have it!!! Didn't take too long to get a pretty strong opinion from some bozos on 136's!! :tg: Get the studs so when you line up on the icy hardpack ya hook like a banshee............except you will bow to the ECP!!! :moon:

THANKS for the advice guys :Rockon: :D ;)! :rocks:

I've always had studs and truly appreciate them with every icy corner and abrupt need to brake. But I will say the ripsaw is the first track where I've thought twice, maybe 3 times about studding it but with every icy corner I think about it even more.

The track that I'm putting on is already stretched (2000 miles) and in darn good shape too. It looks almost brand-new with very little or no cupping on the clips, and all the lugs are there too.

I WILL NOT say anything harsh about my dealer, except the guy DOES KNOW his stuff. He's looking out for me as far as reliability and longevity go - maybe it's Yamaha's instructions, maybe its just being helpful. But I do value his opinion.

I am studding my 05 shorty and my buddies 04 warrior this weekend. I am doing Woody mega bites, 1.325 with singly and dual backers on both sleds. 144 down the center of the shorty, 162 down the center of the Warrior. I did notice that someone mentioned you have to loosen the track after studdin? Why? How much?

Thanks

J

4Fighter said:
My dealer advised against it, (studs are too long, put added stress on track) but I know it would be safer.

What do you think? Have you experienced any issues? How many miles on the tracks that have them?
check out my post for the rear heat exchanger. You need to run 3/8 inch flat bar over protectors for insurance. ;)!

http://www.rx1.info/viewtopic.php?p=672 ... ght=#67264

no problem with the track at all.

RippinV said:
I am studding my 05 shorty and my buddies 04 warrior this weekend. I am doing Woody mega bites, 1.325 with singly and dual backers on both sleds. 144 down the center of the shorty, 162 down the center of the Warrior. I did notice that someone mentioned you have to loosen the track after studdin? Why? How much?

Thanks

J

As long as you tighten the track according to the manufacture you will have no problems with studs hitting...... I run 1.370s and have no hitting problems.. and i ride as hard as anyone..

In fact, the Ripsaw in the pre-drilled form is designed for 162 1.325" down the middle with double backers on every other row. It includes a warranty that covers studs and replaces the track if you have problems. It's the best deal you can get for using studs.

I'm a new sledder and after running WI trails this season, I believe it is ignorant and unsafe not to stud. I don't care how much slower you run, you just can't brake.

Back