• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

PLEASE HELP: Attak GT 2200 miles and bad exhaust donuts?

LuvMyWarrior

Extreme
I have two 07 Attak GT'S. One with 2200 mile and the other with 1700. We are up in WI on a trip and stopped to get gas. After getting gas my wife said that her sled was running bad. We both got gas at the same time and place and mine was running fine, so I didnt think it was bad gas. I rode hers and the exhaust was popping and backfiring and idling bad. Once I got it over about 10 MPH it ran strong so I knew it wasnt bad gas. I guess I have bad exhaust donuts. Local dealer has the donuts and can replace. My question is what is the chance that I have a cracked Y pipe? The dealer doesnt have one and I am trying to decide if I should have him tear down and replace donuts or simply go home and have my local dealer do if there is a high probablity that I need a new Y pipe as well. I am very surprised the ED'S need replaced this soon - thought most people were getting 4000 miles or so before an issue. Had to ride sled about 40 miles to get home. Any chance of damage done to engine from riding with bad donuts to get home? We were in the middle of nowhere. Any thoughts and the new donut and part numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark

You didn't hurt the engine. Don't worry about that.

Changing the donuts are a pain, but doable if you have mechanical skills.

Check here for parts.... http://www.portyamaha.com/fiche_select1 ... mfg=Yamaha

These guys are top notch. Some of the best prices & best customer service. Call them & ask for Kevin.

If you just caught it your y pipes should be fine. Was it backfiring the entire 40 miles back? If it was there could be a chance the y pipes are cracked, I doubt it, but if it wasnt I would just have them do the donuts so you can continue trip.

It was popping but the backfiring really didnt start until the last few miles. When we got back I let both sleds sit outside for awhile. When I came back to start them to load on the trailer it was back firing then.

Hey LuvMyWarrior

The new part # is 99999-03989-00 (replaces 8FA-14623-00-00).. these are US part #'s

I just did mine with these, i was told they are made different, they also came with the four bolts that are also different..

Two of my donuts were completely gone, a few more rides and i would of had nothing left, just the wire in the middle if that,

I new they were going, started to steam up bad also i started to smell fuel when stopping, gas tank heating up, they were original 10k on them, never had a pop or back fire once, might be a pipe..

Mark - were you riding for hours before hand or were you just fueling up at the beginning of a ride when this happened? Your mileage is pretty low for an exhaust donut failure. If you were just getting started for the day be sure the spark plugs aren't fouled on your wifes sled causing the erradic idle/missing at low rpm - this can happen after repeated cold starts like loading/unloading the sled and such between rides.

We had been riding for about an hour and I am very carefull to not foul a plug by letting the sleds run until the running boards are warm to the touch even when loading or unloading. I wish it was that and appreciate the input. If I was closer to Port I would have your techs take a look at. If they are half as good as Kevin they are awesome.

Mark

Most customers with bad exhaust donuts will hear the exhaust backfiring/popping noises but rarely do they associate it with a noticeable miss or lack of engine performance that's what led my thoughts to a low rpm miss (like fouled plugs) which would give a performance issue along with the backfire/popping from the exhaust.

Hey Luv, I just did my first donuts on a 07 attak at 6600 miles. They get pretty loud when engine is cold, then quiet up some as warmed up. At your milage, I doubt that it is donuts, but IF you do find that you need y-pipe, I have a set of OEM ti pipes in very good shape. I opted for the Excell's, so I got new flex pipes, Y pipes and donuts. I see that you live close, so if you need a cheap exhast parts let me know. As I said though, I really don't think that donuts are your problem right now.

Yeah your mileage is really low for them to fail. I replaced mine at about 4500 miles but they really didn't need it, but since its a lot of work just to check I figured I might as well replace them while I had it torn down.

Update: Kevin was right!

My sled is at the dealer and he originally thought it was a bad battery based on the way it was cranking. When it did start he thought it had fouled plugs. He changed three of the plugs and apparently the dealer that put the new plugs in last year over tightened one of the plugs and the threads came off on the fourth plug. Sled was running like crap as the last plug was basically dangling and not attached and that is why it was running so bad. Luckily plug wasn't too long . I hope no metal got into the piston area and did damage. They are trying to get the threads out of the head so can replace the plug :o| Dealer in IL says bring to us we will cover under warranty. Dealer in WI says other dealer overtightened and not covered under warranty as he called yamaha and noted the YES account under that VIN. Why is the consumer always caught in the middle?

OMG dude!! WTF!?!?!

They got some moron monkey changing plugs with an impact... set on kill?

I'd be all over their $hit for that. At least they admit it. Or is this a different dealer now?

This isn't as simple as getting the threads out to put in a new plug. They are gonna have to heli-coil the head now! And, if they aren't competant enough to change sparkplugs, I don't know that I'd trust them to heli-coil the head either. Maybe you should press the isssue and insist on a new head.

You better not be paying for ONE RED CENT of this mess.

Dealer who did it is not the dealer who is fixing it as we are on a snowmobile trip in WI and dealer is in IL. Dealer here seems to think they can fix it.

I'd be making the dumbass dealer in IL & his crew of stooges foot the bill for everything.

Some dumb SOB used either an impact, 1/2" drive or breaker bar to put them plugs in. Let me guess... an 18 year old "tech" who took a one week crash course "tech" class, and now he's a master mechanic at the dealership.

This is exactly why I do 99.9% of my own work. Unless it's recall work, I do my own wrenching.

If that is a certain dealer that ends with the name "TIME"....Ya, they are not the most trustworthy in the shop. Do not allow a heilicoil if you have a choice. A timesert is a much better option.

Back