• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Polishing the Tunnel

2BLUE4U

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
I polished the tunnel on my Attak last night. I did the whole thing once with Mothers Aluminum Polish. I've never polished a tunnel before. Will additional "coats" get a more mirror like finish or should I do something else? It looks nice now but I 'd like a more of a mirror finish.

Hey, thier is this great polish from California Custom. You need to get a bottle of the deoxidizer and a bottle of the polish. Each bottle i think was about $ 15 each. It takes about a hour to do the whole sled and a mirror finish. Looks like chrome when done and its basically wipe on and wipe off. No more elbow grease. You will not be disappointed. I still have over half a bottle of each from last season and two sleds. I reapply the polish about once a month after first coat.

I used Mothers and I also bought a buffing attachment that goes on my drill. It made short work of the job. The attachment is red and made of foam and I believe it is also a Mothers product. It will get black real fast but cleans up real easy with dish washing soap and warm water. Just run the drill to dry it out.

Steely Dan, where did you get the buffing attachment? I haven't been able to find something small enough for the running boards.

2blue4u.

Doing multiple coats of polishing will bring out more of a shine. I have used mothers aluminum and mag polish in the past but have found that mothers billet polish gives a better shine. It is a different paste than the alluminum/mag polish and just seems to do a better job. You can see the can in the picture of the sled while in the process of polishing.

Jim

Attachments

• Stock tunnel polished vs MPI extension before polish.jpg
    Stock tunnel polished vs MPI extension before polish.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 138
  • RX-1 pics 039.jpg
    RX-1 pics 039.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 122
  • RX-1 pics 037.jpg
    RX-1 pics 037.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 118
Looks like I got my work cut out for me. That is a nice shine ;)!

I only did it once, very quickly. As you can see I have a long way to go...

Attachments

• Fly Handlebar Pad RS 3.jpg
    Fly Handlebar Pad RS 3.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 138
2BLUE4U said:
Looks like I got my work cut out for me. That is a nice shine ;)!

I only did it once, very quickly. As you can see I have a long way to go...

Just for a reference. My RX-1 with the stock 151" tunnel took 4 hrs to do the first time (all hand polished with out power buffers).When I put the MPI tunnel extension on it took about 1 1/2 hrs to get it to shine like the picture. After the intial lustre is aquired, I can now do the whole tunnel in about 1/2hr by hand. I do this about once a month during the season.

Attachments

• snowmobile2.jpg
    snowmobile2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 105
  • snowmobile3.jpg
    snowmobile3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 110
  • snowmobile4.jpg
    snowmobile4.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 108

Back