• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ported carb boots ??

RXB-1

Extreme
So I picked up a super sport bike early this summer. First let me say it is the most fun a guy can have off the snow. I have to say I have not met anything on the road that can keep up or challenge me, (not that it does not exist). What a thrill to drop 2 or 3 gears and pass anything in 2-4 seconds. Anyway...
Its a 2005 FZ1 with 2500 miles and I found a related forum to look up mods etc. and lots of guys on that site refer to porting the carb boots and I never heard of that on this site.
Is there any benifit next time I pull things down ?
Nearly the same motor... before you hit me with all the differences..... I said "nearly" It had so much power when I bought it I was thinking I would not need to do much in the way of mods.... But after 6000 miles of fun and getting a feel for it I will be modding it up a fair bit this winter while she is parked and I am sledding. :-o

What they refer to is porting the intake side of the cylinder head. This have been debated and described well over the years on here.

And of course if the rubber boots have obsticles that restricts and/or disturbes air flow it's a good idea to remove those obsticles.

The benefit will be better throttle response and smoother opration, a few more HP most likely across the powerband.

I had a Kawasaki ZX9R back in 03, had a blast riding it. Those Yammies are even faster than my Kawasaki. I know why you like you bike hahahaha it's crazy fast.

They were refering to pulling the boots and porting only them. (the rubber). I certainly alligned and cleaned up mine when I ported the head.
I could try to find it again and post here but will be gone fishing for a week so might take a bit. Just cerious

:) That makes perfect sence, from looking into the boots of my Apex the rubber boots does not fit very vell onto the cylinder head, it could need some trimming for sure :)

Back