• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Preparation for Oil!

Cluney

VIP Member
Hey guys got sled hauled part oil drained spark plugs changed, made a big mess draining the oil didn't realize how much was in there! LOL

Anyways gonna pluck the filter tomorrow,
My question is how much rags should I put under the filter?
Do much oil come out when taking the filter off and replacing?

Also this sounds silly...but where do i pour the
Oil in the tank LOL I don't see any openings to pour in just tubes.

Thanks guys, first oil change btw.

Oil goes in the tank through the opening where the dip stick threads in. Some oil will run out when removing the filter. A rag under it will help keep the mess to a minimum.

Good luck.

And make sure your draining the motor too! There is a plug on the bottom of the pan under the plastic shield.

I must be slow because I can't find the dipstick..I'm gonna laugh at myself when I do LOL. I have it drained from
the motor as well. And with regards to my Manual I lost it during a move from one house to another. I downloaded the service manual online here and I'm gonna check it out now.

Cluney said:
I must be slow because I can't find the dipstick..I'm gonna laugh at myself when I do LOL. I have it drained from
the motor as well. And with regards to my Manual I lost it during a move from one house to another. I downloaded the service manual online here and I'm gonna check it out now.

The stick is threaded right into the top of the oil tank. There's a conectar attached to the top of it. Remove the connector and unthread the stick.

Cluney said:
Hey guys got sled hauled part oil drained spark plugs changed, made a big mess draining the oil didn't realize how much was in there! LOL

Anyways gonna pluck the filter tomorrow,
My question is how much rags should I put under the filter?
Do much oil come out when taking the filter off and replacing?

Also this sounds silly...but where do i pour the
Oil in the tank LOL I don't see any openings to pour in just tubes.

Thanks guys, first oil change btw.

Just did this last night on the new MTX. I had already drained the crank at the bottom and the reservior tank. Then when I pulled off the filter I bet a good fifth to a quarter of a quart was in there. It was w a lot more than I remember even being in there from past changes on different Apex sleds. So point is it can vary how much oil is in or behind the oil filter, and it can be a lot. The end result is the rags you place below the filter just get saturated immediately and all the oil spills to the florr of the bulkhead and then drains back and then drains down the front cooler and onto the garage floor. I can tell you my 2010 MTX has a metal access hatch at the bottom and is diffferest than my 2007, but it's still the whole same PITA process of removing everything to get to the oil filter.

And I think it's been answered, but you pour 2 quarts of oil into the reservior to refill the sled. Then warm up the sled for a few minutes and shut it down. Then add about 1.2 more quarts of oil (with the filter change) into the reservior, or just a quart if you didn't change the filter. Then check the level make sure it's full. You don't have to screw in the dipstick to check the oil level, just set the dipstick in there.

What I do is drain the tank and the motor cold, let them sit open for a while until they are bone empty. Leave the filter on during this time. It will drain out most of the oil in the filter too. One rag will do when you pull the filter if you do this. (at least id does on mine)
If you start it and warm it up, all that oil is back in the filter and the top of the motor.

All done guys! The dipstick was right in my face and I felt stupid haha thanks snowdog for the location! Good to go for the season now. It was a great learning experience for sure, next time will be no problem at all.

Cluney said:
All done guys! The dipstick was right in my face and I felt stupid haha thanks snowdog for the location! Good to go for the season now. It was a great learning experience for sure, next time will be no problem at all.

;)!

Any of you guys raise the front of your sled up to help get all the oil out?

I did my first oil change mainly due to curiousity and I was glad I did as I got at least another 1/2 cup or more of dirty oil out of the engine and oil tank. ;)!

Yes. I raise the front. Makes a big difference as you say.

12 " blocks under skii's, 4 " under track.

after draining engine and tank, put 1 litre in the engine, 2 1/2 lts in the oil tank. warm the sled up, shut off for 5 minutes and check, should be real close to full mark.

Back