• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Preparation for Oil!

REDSLED1 said:
after draining engine and tank, put 1 litre in the engine, 2 1/2 lts in the oil tank. warm the sled up, shut off for 5 minutes and check, should be real close to full mark.

Where do you put the oil in the crank case at ?

You do not need to put oil in the crank case. You only need to put the new oil into the oil tank.

yes i know but just wondering where there is an opening that you could use to put oil in the crank case I dont see one on mine but people seem to be doing it and i wonder where they could be putting it.

Perhaps some people think that it is a good idea to put some new oil directly into the engine even though the owners manual specifies that you only need to put the new oil into the oil tank.

Perhaps those people that are putting the new oil directly into the engine will reply with their reasoning for doing this and where exactly they are putting it in.

yes would like to know i hope they are not putting it somewhere that could cause some serous problems. im sure its got to do with inital start up after the change some im sure will tell you they fill the filter too.

I certainly wouldn't pre-fill the filter unless you want to simply pour your new oil into your belly pan since it mounts onto the engine upside down.

I am thinking that the oil from the tank gets into the crank case immediately. If there was any chance of engine damage caused by only filling the tank I am sure that Yamaha would not recommend doing it this way in the owners manual.

Blue Dave said:
I certainly wouldn't pre-fill the filter unless you want to simply pour your new oil into your belly pan since it mounts onto the engine upside down.

I am thinking that the oil from the tank gets into the crank case immediately. If there was any chance of engine damage caused by only filling the tank I am sure that Yamaha would not recommend doing it this way in the owners manual.
X2

right oh well they are now racing in to comment on how or why so i guess maybe there is no good reason???

Back