• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

R1 coils on RX1

JESSE BRANCO

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 RX 1
Happy new year everybody! Got the sled out for a rip a couple days ago and discovered a bad coil possibly 2. My question is can you run R1 bike coils on the 03 RX1. I can get a set of 4 on Amazon for about the price of 1 RX1 coil? What is the difference?

Any help would be appreciated

Well I ordered the R1 bike coils... lets see what happens lol keep you guys posted.

I ordered these. They fit in the valve cover. Have not fired it up yet. Carbs are off at this time. No clue how long they will last but they grip the plugs well.

Attachments

• C177F4BE-CA99-46D2-ABB8-4509139E2A4D.png
    C177F4BE-CA99-46D2-ABB8-4509139E2A4D.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 119
I ordered these. They fit in the valve cover. Have not fired it up yet. Carbs are off at this time. No clue how long they will last but they grip the plugs well.
Thats awesome to hear im excited to see how they perform. I do very little millage in a year so hopefully they last a few.

Be careful here, I would only try them if they use the same Yamaha part number. What year R-1 bike are they off?
I have seen ECU's fried because if using the wrong coils.
These rarely fail so I would have just got one new from Yamaha.

Be careful here, I would only try them if they use the same Yamaha part number. What year R-1 bike are they off?
I have seen ECU's fried because if using the wrong coils.
These rarely fail so I would have just got one new from Yamaha.
You had me second guessing myself lol!! I double checked ss per yamaha the number is slightly different. However every aftermarket coil i can find reference replacement for both numbers.

Honestly I would of got one from the dealer but couldn't find one I stock anywhere. Now everything around here is closed for 2 weeks. This led me online and found this set for the R1.

Just a heads up the R1 coils came in and they work great! Now lets see how these amazon cheapy coils stand the test of time.

What were the symptoms that made you suspect that the coils were bad?
First symptom I had was end of last year a loss of power at top end, basically I would loose a cylinder at about 6500rpm and the machine wouldnt go over 50KM. It was a little tricky to know for sure then because the coil would work normally under idle. Did a fresh tune up and carb clean this season and same issue however i was also having irattic idle. If you set the idle for about 2500rpm it would fire on all 4 coils. When I tires to get it down to the 1700RPM somewhere in between it would loose a coil and fall k its face at 500RPM and die. I was lucky enough to have a neighbor with the same machine swapped out the coils and it ran like a dream. Sorry its not a little more exact lol... the stock coils are sooo expensive I tried everything else twice before committing. I then found R1 coils on Amazon for a fraction of the price so bought 4 and so far so good!

Thanks for your response. I just did some wire pulling and found a dead hole
Mine is hesitating on throttle pull and then comes alive after a pause.

Back