• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rails cracked with bigger wheels

Im going to guess cost... cost of engineering a new wheel/bearing combination that works with their existing mounts, rather than use what they have on hand and already oem....? Just a guess though. I'm expecting a fix on 2011+ sleds. Time will tell. Really when you think of it... it also gets customers to come in for annual maintenance rather than doing it themselves if they know what a pain in the #*$&@ it is to change these slide. Drop the skid and save yourself some beers and cussin.

jonnytro said:
kevin from portwashington said that the rails will crack with the bigger wheels because it will put more stress on the rails but what i didnt understand is that hyfax will ware no matter what to the wheels so it only makes sense to put bigger wheels on.

I myself have cracked 2 sets of rails with bigger wheels so have many people when the 4strokes first came out.Do a search there are many post but this only extreme riding(pounding moguls and jumping).I will still continue to run bigger wheels myself.
Right now the whels are about the same height as the slides so if you jump and come down on flat land the weight is distributed evenly now you put bigger whhels on you land on the whhels first.

Like I said i will continue to run bigger wheels myself .I'm just poisting my expierence so no bashing.

Here is the deal...
If you run Yamaha wheels and burn your slides down to nothing.
Your Yamaha wheels will hang down over the slider X amount.
Is X enough for a wrong hit at the right moment to crack a rail?
Yes it is.
If you run Doo wheels or Excel wheels you won't burn your slides down to nothing right away and they'll still hang down X amount over the slides.
X remains fairly constant during many miles for both set-ups.
But with bigger wheels you don't need to worry about a 7 day trip and on day 5 needed to find a Yamaha dealer to change your slides.

I'd asked the same question in the other thread. Sounded like the cracked wheels were caused by guys using Ski-doo mounts with larger wheels.

In any case, using the aftermarket larger wheels on your stock mounts won't create any different of a situation than having very worn hyfax with your stock wheels and mounts. With both set ups, the wheels are going to protude under the hyfax by some amount.

I guess if you ran the taller wheels and then wore your hyfax down to almost nothing than the taller wheels would protrude further down than a stock set up and then yes, that would put more stress on the rails.

I've not had hyfax issues but we generally have plenty of snow. The stupid third window closed track creates way more wear to the hyfax than the size of the idlers. I don't know if the new Yamaha's are still coming with them stock?

Back