• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rate the best places to ride in the Western US

BlueByYou2000

Staff member
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Guys

A few of us flatlanders are planning another trip out west. 2 years ago we were at Togwotee and had just incredible riding and more snow than Ive seen in my life. Last day there we woke up to 4 feet of new snow :shock:

Anyway, Id like some input on other great riding areas, somewhere they have very good rental sleds, lodging and of course riding. We dont care to trailer anywhere and would like to be able to ride right from the lodge.

Thanks for you suggestions...BBY

Matt, a great place to ride would be Cooke City, Mt if you wan't to ride from your Hotel. They have all four brands of mountain sleds available.; Cooke City Motorsports has Yamaha and AC, Cooke City Exxon has Polaris and Doo.

If you weren't so dead set against the trailering I would suggest joining all of us westerners in McCall, ID for Presidents day weekend/ the following week. My wife and I went for the first time this past season and had alot of fun riding with; Spray25, Spray's wife, Silver Streak, Streak's wife, JonnyRocket, Sprays friend from BullyDog Technologies, his son, and RX-Fun along with a few non RX-1 forum riders.

For pics of some riding in Cooke City got to my topic titled "A Collage of this Season's Trips" and the "Stuck" and "Been There" topics in the Photo section. If you decide on going to Cooke City check out http://www.ccsinclair.com. They have a great link for business' in Cooke City along with riding conditions and winter photos posted by riders through out the season. And if you spent much time off trail in Togwotte you noticed tha about 60 - 70 miles is about all you get on a tank of fuel when playing in deep snow.

Edit; I should add that Cooke City has allways ranked in the Snowest Magazine's Top 10 best places in the west to ride (7th last year) and also rank Top 3 consistantly in off trail and Powder. What pulls them down in the ranks is lack of trail mileage. You can cover all the trails in about two days but get off trail and you can ride several different areas.

Jim

;)! Utah is also a great place to ride and this year was one of the best ! pm me if interested, just built a summer home on some property. 8)

Matt, Are you driving or flying in?
Cooke City is fun, but the town is VERY small (50 full time residents) and the riding area is also very small when compared to other areas. Also, you would not be able to fly into Cooke, you would get close and then have to get a rental car and drive in (I think west yellowstone is the closest airport).

I still think the Snowy Range west of Laramie WY offers some of the best riding for all levels. They have all 4 dealers in town, and rentals sleds right up on the mountain. There is 4-5 places that you can stay on the mountain and ride right from your cabin. I dont know if you have a date set but I would say Feb-March is the best time. The base is deep, the days are longer, and they get some big dumps of powder during that time frame. I will be out there 8-10 times this winter so if make it out there I would be happy to be your guide ;) Just bring a saw! ===SRXSRULE===

1. Grand Mesa (Western CO)

2. Togwotee (WY)

3. Snowy's (WY)

4. Rabbit Ears (CO)

5. Steamboat Lake (CO)

Snowy's are fun - but getting VERY crowded on the weekends and especially the holiday weekends. It is the first stop on I-80 that offers any kind of mountain riding so all the folks from NE, IA, MN, etc. go there first (can't say I blame them). This winter will be my 20th year of riding up there. I guided sleds for two years in college and my family has a cabin up there, so it is usually one of my first choices.

Grand Mesa has a lot more open spaces and it is easier to find fresh deep powder IMO. Arctic Cat tests sleds up there so you can usually catch a glimpse of the next years sleds in Feb and March up there.

Togwotee and that area is a blast because you can hop onto the trail system and go from lodge to lodge spending the night at different places (Continental Divide Trail System).

If you are planning a trip, hire a guide if you do not have someone with you that knows the area. All you will have to do is follow and have a good time.

I am heading out to Togwotee this march and was wondering if there are any rental places that have Yamaha's. I am staying the togwote mountain lodge and they only have polaris's at the lodge. Thanks

Togowotee

You'll love it out there, I assume your staying up on the mountain? The most convenient rental is from the lodge, I don't believe you can find any Yamaha's in that area.

I recommend that you ride with one of their guides, we've gone with and without a guide. Even with some friends from Iowa that have been there for years we had better riding with the guides.

Be careful that when you return your rental sled they will go over that thing with a fine tooth comb looking for damage. When you first rent they appear pretty easy going but upon return they will have 3 guys looking it over. I always want the most beat up sled I can find when renting there!!! Also, go for the high horespower, you'll need it and it is worth the few extra bucks...

How many days you guys plan on riding?

Dog

We are planning a to ride for 3 days and we are going to have a guide for at least 2 of the 3 days. I think it will be around the 2nd weekend in march. I am already excited to go out there, however we might be riding the 700 RMK's that they rent at the lodge. I was really hoping to find a place near by that rented yamaha's. Anyhow,thanks for the info.

I would vote Cooke, or McCall. Blgs is right in McCall you will have to trailer, but we are only talking 15 minutes or so of trailering depending on where you stay. McCall comes with a charming and handsome guide too. :)

Mtnviper said:
Spray, you forgot to mention the good food!
I would vote for McCall also. It's has something for everyone, from trail riding to high marking. Lot's of my personal favorite, boondocking galore!

The fog is a killer though on them RMK bumpers (and other parts). That first day following our guide with uncanny GPS like navigational/guide skills ;)! :tg: cost me a little over $800 (come to find out after tearing into it the whole belly pan needed replaced as you can see from this picture that Spray took. When looking at it in McCall it looked like I could get by with the two sides but the center was broke also; the only thing that held it to gether and protected the radiator was the skid plate (good thing I had the sense to put one on it). Bent the pipe too, only figured that out after getting all the new stuff and nothing lined up when reassembling the sled. My wife needs to learn to not follow them damn turbos eveywhere and not tailgate me in whiteouts :drink: or I'll never get my SC.

Edit; Ray, I don't think Tura will ever forget the name Council Mountain. ;)!

Attachments

• 100_1237.jpg
    100_1237.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 103
BlgsRX-1mtn said:
Mtnviper said:
That first day following our guide with uncanny GPS like navigational/guide skills

My skills are quite amazing aren't they? :moon:

Tell Tura not to fear Council mountain...... she just needs to get some velcro gloves and handlebars. ;)!

Back