• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Red Relay

Bob Miller said:
Still don't know why I need the Red Relay?

sometimes when really cold your current relay can stick (freeze), causing the fuel pump to not work. This new relay can't stick because it has no moving parts.

Bob Miller said:
Still don't know why I need the Red Relay?

The red relay, like has been said has no moving parts to freeze. So it should be the answer in cold weather and eliminate a possible problem that could cause you to get a no start condition. From no fuel pump because of a frozen relay.

You do not need anything. Its up to you if you want it or not.

Is this a common problem with the Apex? I checked and I notice 4 relays. I read that some are replacing them all? Has this problem left anyone stranded?

Bob you would need it only if your sled would not turn over because the fuel pump was not delivering fuel. Some of the older relays would freeze up and not work until lt warmed up or they took a blow dryer to it

How much for the red relay?

There are 3 the same and I changed all 3. If one freezes then it only make sense that the other 2 might as well. Its peace of mind and it's less then $100. i also changed the plugs and bought a 320cca battery as well.
Knock on wood, That was 3 years ago and it hasn't reoccurred.

With the old relays when we were in northern Quebec 4 sleds started and we went for breakfast, came out and none would start, all with frozen relays. The doo guys were having fun. Got them all going by warming them by in my hand. I've since changed to the solid state relay and haven't had a problem since. All the guys have since changed to 4stroke doo's and they are happy. I still ride my Attak and love it even more since I got my shock rebuilt by Shocktec. I love the pull from the 4 hole'er, and it sounds nice with the exhaust drilled. Those Doo's sound like a F'n farm tractor. LOL. OK I've had enough beer.

you're lucky you were able to get it restarted after the relay was warmed up. i didn't have that luck. i had to tear my down to get to the plugs and dry them off because it had flooded. There was no way it was going to start otherwise. not fun when it's -40*C outside, thank God i had a trailer to work in out of the wind. Mind you there were a lot of vehicles including all makes of sleds not starting that morning so i didn't feel too bad. i did get it running later in the morning but what a PITA.

Yup been there done that at -40. Mine always went when it was just a frozen relay. That's an easy job, but the plug change at -40 just plain sucks. Blood flow to the hands just isn't what it used to be at my age. Froze them too many times ice fishing.

If your sled was flooded the fuel pump relay clearly wasn’t frozen. When it is, you get no pump which means no fuel.

either way it was flooded. it wouldn't even fire or anything at first. i tried heating the relay and then it tried to go a few times and that's when it flooded. it was still the fault of the relay because it was froze at first. that's why i changed all 3 along with a new higher CCA battery so it wouldn't happen again. same thing happen to my buddies 2013 the year before. he switched out his relays as well and it's been good up until he traded it in this last spring.

Back