• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Relocated the fuse box

Ok..thxs grizz...thats what i was lookjng to do...just rivet it to the belt gaurd...save ordering 200 wortg of BOP kits..and paying to get them into canada

Just had a frozen relay on my friend's Viper this weekend; it took 20-25 minutes of blowing a hairdryer directly on the fuse box under the hood to get it to start, and it wasn't even that cold. We definitely need to do the fuse box relocate, and would love to do the BOP relocate kit, but with 4 sleds to do, it sounds like we will go with riveting to the belt guard.

Relocate to the belt guard and try changing to these relays:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...lGo6lFOYUsTYwbpP89ku/7wyBpVWigJQObwg6RppX8prP

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...3cc0Vh3MFi1ipUOIJJiF8hmNpWu1nmLOPAyswUIIcQg==

Mouser relay part numbers.png

Last edited:
So the "fuel pump" relay is what I can take out to bring inside and keep warm...

Guys, just trying to catch up a bit on the issue causing the need to relocate? Are these just freezing up due to extreme cold weather and causing problems or is there a correlation to playing in deep snow and having snow melt around it causing it to freeze.

Asking because I've never had an issue but rarely see temps below zero where I ride?

Thanks for clarification!

The fuse block is just in a STUPID location. Making it a pain under any circumstances. Just take the factory bracket off, and mount it on the clutch guard. I rolled my wire harness in a loop, to get it to where it is now, fan wires still reach.

The relocate is for better access to the relays and fuses in case there is a problem . It's usually a cold weather thing but not always extreme cold conditions and so far I don't believe there's been any indication that the relay problem is directly related to deep snow riding. The fuse box has a sealed cover so it keeps out most of the moisture.

Guys, just trying to catch up a bit on the issue causing the need to relocate? Are these just freezing up due to extreme cold weather and causing problems or is there a correlation to playing in deep snow and having snow melt around it causing it to freeze.

Asking because I've never had an issue but rarely see temps below zero where I ride?

Thanks for clarification!

Now I COMPLETELY understand as it happened to me for the first time today. Fortunately I was heading home anyway but see why reloacte is nice for this STUPID problem on a machine meant for cold use. Excellent thread guys!!

It was -2 and sled was put on to trailer warm, maybe caused some moisture in trailer??

I relocated my fuse box to the belt guard a couple seasons ago and no issues.

Made troubleshooting a failed radiator fan much easier last spring.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the frozen relay; I know that the sled most prone to it in our group never played in deep snow. I did the relocate on my 2015 LTX-DX, and it worked slick as can be. The next ride my friend's Viper would not start on a cold morning, and we had to practically disassemble his sled while it was in the trailer. We got the relay out and warmed it up, but still no start. I thought it sounded a little slow turning over, so I used my battery booster and it started right up. 50 miles later, while on the trail, his sled died for good, and we couldn't get it started. The dealer replaced the starter relay, and it was fine.

Now, both Vipers are gone, both replaced with Sidewinders. First ride, my buddy messed up his heated shield wires and blew the fuse. In 30 seconds, we had the Sidewinder panels and hood off and replaced the fuse. What a difference. If Yamaha keeps the Viper for 2020, hopefully they will transition it to the newer body style and getting to the fuse box will no longer require major surgery.

Reviving an old thread!
I have a ‘16 with newer motor and have everything apart but still can’t get the wiring to play nice as it’s very bulky and hard to turn...
Does this fuse box relocate mod apply to the newer engines also?

Reviving an old thread!
I have a ‘16 with newer motor and have everything apart but still can’t get the wiring to play nice as it’s very bulky and hard to turn...
See post #80. This was on a 2016 Viper .

See post #80. This was on a 2016 Viper .
thank for your reply swamp cat!
but post #80 doesn't fully answer my specific question.
I asked about the "newer" engine and whether the wiring gets routed the same way.
I'll take my heat gun out with me to warm up the wiring a bit to make it more pliable and go from there.
cheers

Reviving an old thread!

thank for your reply swamp cat!
but post #80 doesn't fully answer my specific question.
I asked about the "newer" engine and whether the wiring gets routed the same way.
I'll take my heat gun out with me to warm up the wiring a bit to make it more pliable and go from there.
cheers
They are the same. No difference in wiring routing. I've done the fuss box relocate on 2 - 14 Vipers and 2 - 16 vipers with the newer engine and its all the same.

They are the same. No difference in wiring routing. I've done the fuss box relocate on 2 - 14 Vipers and 2 - 16 vipers with the newer engine and its all the same.
Thank you very much!
I was able to get my wiring harness to cooperate and got it all mounted up.
I love this site!

Back