• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Removing Gas Tank

YKYahama

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yahama FX Nytro
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to sleds in general, but I picked up a Nytro off a guy last year who pretty well customed everything on it. This might be a dumb question, but I'm trying to remove the gas tank to get to the sparkplugs. I've read there might be an easier way to do this, but there seems to be so little space to work with. In any case, I've got the plastic & seat off, but I'm having difficulty with the center shroud that covers the tank. I've taken all the quick clips off of it, but there's a black surround for the gas cap that seems to be on top of the shroud. It's not a part of the shroud itself as it moves underneath the surround. It's -30 C out, so I'm hesitant to use any amount of force to take it off. Was hoping someone with more experience might be able to tell me how to remove it. Is it just clipped in?

fuel cap surround.jpg

That round rubber ring just pulls off.

If it is the stock tank, you don't need to remove it to do plugs. Not a lot of room, but certainly doable. (I'm assuming it is the stock tank since you have the white plastic capacity-reducer thingy in there yet.)

Do you need a special tool for it? I'm pretty sure it's a stock tank, but there's no way I can get a 6-inch shaft down the holes.

I don't remember what length extension, but I used a standard plug socket, a u-joint on top of that, and a short extension. I actually took a pic of that last time I changed plugs on mine, this is what it looks like stock. Definitely do-able with the right combination of extension and u-joint. (now that I think of it, I might have dropped the socket down by itself, and then clicked the extension into it when it was already down the hole.)

Last edited:

Back