• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse and Handling Issues with 2012 Vector.

2datrl

Extreme
A few questions for the Pros out there.
1.The reverse handle has been stuck/ frozen or difficult to move several times during this very cold season. Is this a matter of greasing the linkage or is there more to it than that.
2. I would like to get the Vector to handle more like my old Viper. The limiter strap has been pulled down one notch, installed a 13mm sway bar from Pioneer Perf. And am running 4 inch duelies. Any suggestions? Tuner Skis? 6 inch duelies?
Thanks,
2datrl

Yes lubricate the linkage old grease can seize it up when very cold. What is your complaints with the handling? I assume ski lift dont forget the transfer rod this will play a big roll it keeping front end planted.

FWIW and maybe you don't want to hear this but trying to get a higher CG sled like a Vector (heavier too) to handle like your old low-slung, trailing arm Viper is a pretty tall order. I wished my Vector handled (cornered) like my 2000 Polaris 600 did but it's just not going to happen. The laws of physics are pretty hard to overcome.

I know the higher CG works against me in the handling dept. I am willing to spend money on other skis or carbides to close the gap some.
I was hoping to hear back from someone that has switched to the tuner skis, and what their impressions are relative to an improvement in handling, not just the anti-darting characteristics.
Thanks for the help.
2datrl

are you studded? If so I'm sure 6" duallies would be a nice upgrade. I run 96 studs and 4" duallies. I'm also shimmed the rear of my skis. I have an 08 vector with the monoskid. Strap is pulled 2 holes (don't think this does much as the strap still has some slack in it!) and I am running rear shock spring in 1st clip (oem set) and notch/ramp #6. Soft preload on the adjustable shock dial....3 clicks from full soft.....BTW, I weigh about 235. My transfer rod is set in the middle, hardly ever any ski lift and handles well. I came off a Polaris IQ and before that a 03 rev.

If all this doesn't work find a crappy trail take you viper out and then take the vector out, you'll forget all about how it handles the perfectly smooth trails! I only miss my 01 SRX when I go WOT!!!!

What year Vector?

2datrl said:

You have EPS and should be able to get the front end totally planted and still be able to turn the sled. I don't have EPS and don't have a Mono skid in my sled (FAST M10) but I would try to find some VERY aggressive skis (opinions will vary on which ones) and get the right amount of carbides on them so they don't push in the corners. I run 6" Woody's Doolies on the stock Yamaha skis. No studs. Yes I get some corner push depending on conditions but I get ZERO darting which is my #1 goal.

hi there....... we have 3 vectors in the family fleet and all run the same asic set up even though they differ significantly in suspension components. reduce the spring tension on the front shocks. lift sled until skis off the ground and back off the spring collars until springs loose and tighten 1 turn so they don't rattle. the goal is to get the a-arms as close to level to the ground as possible.

ski lift

I fail to see how the EPS keeps both skis on the ground. I see the benefit of lower steering effort but it doesn't lower the CG of the sled. Putting on different skis will not keep the sled on the snow either. It is simple, if you want to turn, this sled is going to lift the ski. Take off the carbides and this will keep your skis on the snow, but you won't be able to turn. The force needed to turn this sled is what makes it lift the ski. the only way to keep these skis on the ground is to add about 100lbs to each ski, thus lowering the CG of the sled. Best trick to getting the vector to corner is lay off the throttle steadily so that the engine brake is throwing the weight of the sled ahead onto the skis creating more ski pressure. My 2 cents. Feel free to enlighten me.

I run my vector in back county powder most of the time. I have 100% weight transfer on control rod, front ski springs cranked about 2/3 way compressed, 20/39 gearing, and a 144. both skis lift on the throttle, my front end is not down in the powder all the time but up on plane, and I can back up it 12" of powder because the sled is rockered(due to the weight on the front of my track and little on the rear). My handling is very poor(as you would expect) and I steer with my feet.
If you want this sled to handle, biggest thing would be to put as much weight as possible on rear of skid and skis via limit strap and control rod. Don't expect to keep up with anyone in powder, and good luck backing up.

Back