• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RTX Overheating, Anyone else

cadman

Veteran
I took my sled out today for a quick spin. About 20 degrees F and 6" of powder. At about .9 mi the sled shut down no temp lite but the ! lite was on. Steam coming off running boards. Nursed it back to shop where I checked antifreeze. Level was fine but it looked like pure antifreeze. Checked it and came in at -70F++. Should I drain this off and mix up a 70/30 batch? Also it seemed odd that the fan on the raditior did not start. How hot does it need to get before this new feature kicks in. Any ideas what else this could be??

Maybe air in the system? I'm new to these 4 strokes and haven't picked mine up yet, but it does sound like air to me. Anyone else?

Are the sleds shipped with antifreeze or does the dealer fill, my freeze protection is over -65 degrees seemed like too much antifreeze.

Ny_Warrior is right...Both my Warriors had 100% antifreeze. Both over heated the first ride. Dealer said they were shipped that way. I cut them both to 50/50 60/40 or close and they were fine. I pulled the hose off near the clutch side and put a 2 liter bottle there. Then added water to the system till I got the mix. Then tilted the trailer and got both machines hot and slowly opened the fill cap to let the air out. You can bleed from the back if you lift the back up, this was easier.

:yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

TORS Adjustment?

Do you think the TORS could be an issue also? I seem to have enough play at the throttle. Should I back it off a little more and try it. The machine keeps shutting down every time I hit the throttle more than an idle and it also seems real hot.

Thanks,

I forget who it was posted last year that straight antifreeze wouldn't conduct as much heat away as a 60/40 or 50/50 mix which could even be better. Plus there is a product called Water Wetter (A Red Line product you can get at Pep Boys or AutoZone) that will help your coolant do its job better. Once it is broken in a little should be less heat because of less friction too

Found it, it was SuperStroker that had this great post
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ter+wetter

I took mine out Sat no problems I did however hear my radiator fan running just before I shut it down a couple of times but no high temp light.

While riding mine I felt a warm blast by my right leg. Turned out to be the radiator fan. Too bad there couldn't be one on both sides, it felt good ;)!

cadman said:
I took my sled out today for a quick spin. About 20 degrees F and 6" of powder. At about .9 mi the sled shut down no temp lite but the ! lite was on. Steam coming off running boards. Nursed it back to shop where I checked antifreeze. Level was fine but it looked like pure antifreeze. Checked it and came in at -70F++. Should I drain this off and mix up a 70/30 batch? Also it seemed odd that the fan on the raditior did not start. How hot does it need to get before this new feature kicks in. Any ideas what else this could be??

The first thing I would do is contact my dealer to get on record as an issue, than have them bleed the system and check the mix, It should be 50/50.

If you still have issue PM me and I might be able to help you with Yamaha customer service.
Mine overheated all season until the motor was toast. Even after changing the mix, bleeding out the air and adding the cooler in the rear of the tunnel. They ended up taking it back and giving me $$$ towards my 06. It was kind of funny when they kept saying the cooling system is aquatic yet they added the radiator and fan to the 06.

There is no reason why this should happen except if you run it too long with NO snow.

-Moose

Way back in 2004 Yamaha was shipping sleds with 100% anti-freeze. I told the big cheese marketing rep this along with a few other things I was not happy about. He laughed when I told him I found 100 per cent antifreeze in both my sled and my friends sleds straight from the factory. He said, " we don't have sombody dumping stuff in by the bottle. It is mixed in a big tank with hundreds of gallons." I told him I didn't care if it was mixed in a swimming pool, it was not measured and installed correctly which cost me a whole season to figure out and the installation of a temp guage which I felt was a necessity since the machines were over heating regularly, even in pure powder.

The guy said, "haven't heard that from any dealers, and until I do, I am not going to believe it."

Seems the joker who does this on the line somewhere in the orient, is still having fun.

If your machine is overheating, even with the new radiators, I would check the content of the anti freeze. If it is way over the 60/40 mix, then drain some off and get it right. These high strung machines need all the help they can get to keep them from screwing up your day.

Thanks for the info guys. I tore it down last night and got all the panels of so I drain some off without getting it all over the sled. Two things. What should the mix show up on the tester if I have the 50/50 mix -35 to 40? My Throttle seems to have enough play. Should I back the cable off a half a turn and see if it stops this TORS safety from kicking in? I assume you want some play but still have it stil hit top end adjustment.
Thanks in Advance!!!

Back