• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 to 136 questions

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
I think I am going to stretch my 2005 RX to 136 next year and was just looking for some advice. Is it better to extend the rails or buy ATTACK rails? Who's rail extensions are the best? [ Tracks USA has a sweet deal on rail extension kit] Are any clutching or gearing changes needed/ recomended? Add more wheels also? Rear cooler safe in the same spot? Any other advice is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

i don't about any requried adjustments but i extended my 03 rx1 to the 136'' and love the ride and the bite at take off, usa tracks all the way you won't be disapointed . the only thing that worried me was the heat exchange [ wether to extend or not, i didn't extend and have had no problem] as for the wheels just move em' back.

I've also used extensions from Tracks USA for my stretched Nytro. I've got over 1000 miles on my setup ... I've had no problems at all with the extensions, and I have never overheated.

gade-thrasher said:
I've also used extensions from Tracks USA for my stretched Nytro. I've got over 1000 miles on my setup ... I've had no problems at all with the extensions, and I have never overheated.

Got about the same milage on my 03 with the 136 absolutely love it. As far as tunnel extensions go get one from Gade-Thrasher it's at least twice as thick as any other manufacturer real nice piece of hardware.

Attachments

• ext2.jpg
    ext2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 311

I extended my 03 RX1 this year (to 136) & it's great, except on extreme hits the studded 1.25 ripsaw WILL contact the former snowflap mount area & awful close to the rear cooler tube. I wil have to move the cooler, I believe Hartman has a kit for this. Anybody else encounter this ?

I have a rear heat exchanger mounted in my RX but I am considering a 136 ice ripper instead of studs

I used a hartman tunnel ext, with the tracks usa rails. worked out great! The rails did make it a little tighter to get the track back inside the track when reinstalling. I also had to run the track real loose, it wore out the sliders in 8 hundred miles. 2nd time around worked better for the sliders. Good luck, great improvement in this sled! No heat probs.Honk

Honk said:
I also had to run the track real loose, it wore out the sliders in 8 hundred miles. 2nd time around worked better for the sliders. Good luck, great improvement in this sled! No heat probs.Honk

Interesting after a little over 1000 miles mine need replacing also with the 121 I was getting 2000 plus! Is the spec for track tension different for a 136 over a 121? I adjusted mine four times as it stretched always using the same spec as my 121

did anyone put the smaller wheels and shaft in the top of the tunnel like the attacks or is that not necesary?

Re: 136

Traildemon said:
I extended my 03 RX1 this year (to 136) & it's great, except on extreme hits the studded 1.25 ripsaw WILL contact the former snowflap mount area & awful close to the rear cooler tube. I wil have to move the cooler, I believe Hartman has a kit for this. Anybody else encounter this ?

Yes mine did hit there as well.I cut out the section as much as I could and rivited a piece of aluminum to protect the coolant tube that crosses over.You can kind of see it in this picture.

Attachments

• 2inch track clearance.JPG
    2inch track clearance.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 326
Steve - did you much of a difference between your 1.25" and 2" track? I am looking to do a bit more powerline riding and as such and I am stuck between the 1.5" which would require no trimming and the 2" which would require a bit of work on my end.

Have you thought of removing your tunnel protectors? Did you have to go to anti ratchets for the 2"?

Thanks

Convert said:
Honk said:
I also had to run the track real loose, it wore out the sliders in 8 hundred miles. 2nd time around worked better for the sliders. Good luck, great improvement in this sled! No heat probs.Honk

Interesting after a little over 1000 miles mine need replacing also with the 121 I was getting 2000 plus! Is the spec for track tension different for a 136 over a 121? I adjusted mine four times as it stretched always using the same spec as my 121
You have to run them extra loose when you extend the rails. If you think about the geometry of triangles, you will see that with the extension, because the track doesn't follow parallel to the control rods any more, the track will actually tighten up as the suspension compresses.

In fact, you can figure out the AMOUNT that it stretches like this;
You have a triangle at the back where you added your extension; between the points where the upper wheels are bolted to the tunnel, the control rod is bolted to the rail, and the rear axle passes through the rail. Measure the circumference of that triangle when fully extended and when fully compressed.

There is an angle between the control rod and the rail. As the suspension compresses, this angle gets bigger, which means that the distance between the upper wheels and the rear wheels gets bigger as well.

When you're setting the tension, you want it absolutely as loose as you possibly can without it ratcheting. Forget the specs - they simply don't apply.

Seeing as you have an 05 - I would look at replacing the rails. Yam made a lot of changes to strengthen up the mono 121 skid from 05 to 06. Adding extensions is only going to increase the possibility of problems.

What Lazy said! You need to run as loose as possiable. The little wheels would help to. There really is nothin to this upgrade. While skid is out have your shocks done and replace your bushings and bearings. PP has a bushing kit for the RX. it is missing a few of them can't remember which ones. Good luck and have fun, you will love the added length! Like the girls say," sizes does Matter"!! Honk

I put an 06 mono skid in my 03 RX1 and am thinking of extending it to a 136 also, Does the same theory apply to this skid also?? And another question I have is why cant you move the upper shaft and wheels rearward a little to compensate for the extra lenght??

Back