• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rx1 carb heat shut off valve?

tmbl52

what happens if the carbs freeze up on t-rx1. will they run lean? I forgot i shut the valve on carb heat line and sled was running great for about 8 miles then went to crap. white plugs . same jetting for 2000 miles. 28 degrees f. and very humid. pulled sled out to be safe

Normly the little idle jet will freeze. Sled will not idle it will just stall.

Skydog

sled idled perfectly but ran terrible over idle. just checked fuel pressure at idle 5.5 . Compression 180 across the board. added oil to cyl and it went up to 200 lbs. checked vacuum at carb boots and was erradic at 5 inches vacuum.

yes all four and still all over the place. what could that be? burnt valves? Wrong cam timing?

I could not get it to run right with the carb shutoff valves shut. The sled ran great to start with, but after a mile of two it just died. I opened the valve and the sled barely started, after a minute my sled ran just great. I threw the shut off valve in my parts that do not work box LOL

rxrider said:
I could not get it to run right with the carb shutoff valves shut. The sled ran great to start with, but after a mile of two it just died. I opened the valve and the sled barely started, after a minute my sled ran just great. I threw the shut off valve in my parts that do not work box LOL

Yup :Rockon: I fould if you turn the valve just right it works good, starts good when hot and does not freeze. But boy was it touchy....
Too much flow carbs get heat soaked hard to start when hot, too little idle jets freeze and sled just stalls.

Skydog

that seems to be what happened. I forgot all about the shutoff valve and the idle circuit must have frozen.. That must have kept the pitot jet from pumping more fuel when boosting causing a lean condition. runs good now. the box of parts that didnt work just got bigger. lol

So in reality again, this is just another thing to not do? Or, is it ok to shut it off in warmer weather? I am curious if it really makes a difference either way, or with a turbo, one should leave it open as far as fuel and heat issues go, especially in the spring?

open when very cold, closed when warm out help my turbo sled start after a heat soak for sure!!

Back