1. We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.
    Dismiss Notice

RX1 maintenance

Discussion in 'RX General Talk' started by YammieMan, Mar 25, 2019.

1. YammieMan

YammieMan Veteran

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2003 Yamaha RX1
    Well, sledding is over till next year . I would love to hear any advice as to what you guys as do as far as parking it for the summer and any maintenance that would be recommended. I'm going to leave it in my garage till next winter, and would love to just tinker with it and get it ready for next year. Should i change the gear case oil? Fuel conditioner? Etc.. thanks guys in advance

3. Brotherdan

Brotherdan Pro

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2003 rx1er 136"mono 2 rear suspension conversion,muffin works extension, apex seat,apex bars,8"lake effect riser,gytr frontshocks,yamaheater,rocks ridelite,1987 enticer 340ltr 2100miles,1984 enticer 340,1996 wolverine 350,big wheel kit,winch,racks,cai
    We have been talking about this lately&some good suggestions.do a search for what to do for summer storage,if you have any problems finding recent discussions i can help you locate them.

4. maim

maim Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2016 apex xtx/ 2011 apex xtx/ 2009 phaser rtx/x/ 1997 et410t/r
    well my list for the sleds (i do maintence on at least 8 sleds for family and myself) is as follows,

fill fuel full and add prefered stabilizer (i like seafoam) and run once a month until all coolers are hot to the touch. spinning the track is good too.

check the slider plastic and replace if below min spec.

check all bogey wheels and clean and pack the bearings. some sleds i have to do this every year. if any rust in the bearings after cleaning, replace the bearing.

remove the secondary clutch. i then pick out the seal on the bearing behind it and the drive axle one behind the speedo pick-up. clean them out with brake cleaner and repack with grease if they have the rubber seals. if steel seals, replace every 2 seasons or less depending on milage. oe one lasted 11000 mi before it failed.

change engine and chain case oils. do not forget to adjust chain tension while you are there. oil filter can be done every 2nd year if you like but i usually do mine every season.

grease sled.

check dounuts and replace as nessasary.

check carbides and replace if needed. i usually replace mine 1 month into season so i do not trash the new carbide when the trails are thin.

check front end bushings/steering and replace if needed.

if the sled has high miles, you might want to re rivit the tunnel to the bulkhead as the rivits tend to work loose over time.

i replace the coolant in mine every 5-6 years. if you do not know when it was done, you could test it with a ph strip but i usually just change it as it only holds about 2l.

i might have missed some stuff but this will prevent lost riding time from maintainable parts during the season. have fun.

5. YammieMan

YammieMan Veteran

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2003 Yamaha RX1
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice.

6. maim

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    np lol.

i did forget one thing, blowing out the clutches with compressed air and making sure the bushings in the rollers and weights are good in the primary. for the secondary, just make sure the plastic shoes are good that the helix rides on and blow the dust out of it as well.

7. Brotherdan

Brotherdan Pro

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2003 rx1er 136"mono 2 rear suspension conversion,muffin works extension, apex seat,apex bars,8"lake effect riser,gytr frontshocks,yamaheater,rocks ridelite,1987 enticer 340ltr 2100miles,1984 enticer 340,1996 wolverine 350,big wheel kit,winch,racks,cai
    Make sure front end is lifted in the air to check the control arm&spindle bushings otherwise you won't feel any play.also I use clear spray grease on the control arm bushings,stabilizer bushings (Check these also)&all steering linkage.I see a lot of sleds that don't get any grease on the front end or steering linkage

8. YammieMan

YammieMan Veteran

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2003 Yamaha RX1
    Ok awesome just barely had the while suspension done, including bearings and bushings. What kind of clear spray are you referring to? And what kind of grease do I use?

9. YammieMan

YammieMan Veteran

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2003 Yamaha RX1
    Ok, so I have to take the clutches apart to inspect them? What about the shaft bearings? Should those get inspected as well? And is it easy to do?

10. YammieMan

YammieMan Veteran

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2003 Yamaha RX1
    So which bearings can I grease? As bogey wheel bearings are only replaceable right?

11. YammieMan

YammieMan Veteran

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2003 Yamaha RX1
    So which bearings can I grease? As bogey wheel bearings are only replaceable right?

12. Brotherdan

Brotherdan Pro

USA
    Snowmobile:
    Technically the bogey bearings are not serviceable,however if your very careful with a very small regular blade screwdriver you can carefully remove the rubber grease seals,clean out any old grease etc&repack,if your not comfortable doing this you can buy new bearings (I prefer nachi bearings but everyone has a different opinion)also for regular grease I use the yamaha cold weather snowmobile grease &for spray grease I use castle endura which is clear.if you can't find that you could use wurth,rotanium,there are many companies that make the clear spray grease(for front susp,steering)you do not have to disassemble the clutches,blow out with compressed air (wear a mask)then visually check for wear.the shaft bearings do just what maim suggested

YammieMan likes this.
  13. maim

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    i used to do it by replacing bearings but cost made me go back to the old way of picking out the seal with a pick or small screw driver and flushing them out with brake cleaner and repacking them. i use a needle greaser as it is cleaner and easyer than by hand.

the origonal outer wheels on the rx sleds are not replaceable bearings. any aftermarket ones are replaceable.

YammieMan likes this.
  14. Fortress

Fortress Extreme

Canada
    Snowmobile:
    2004 RX1
    I don't really do anything I just fire them both up about every 6 weeks spin the tracks,get to operating temperature..maybe trickle charge batteries once mid summer.Do all my repairs and oil changes in fall to get ready.