• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX1 Water Pump Cover Replacement

OldSchool

Hey! So I've been replacing the bulkheads in my '03 RX1 and managed to put a hole in my water pump cover. Serious bummer, arrrgh! So was able to unscrew the three hex screws going in towards the engine, but the cover is not budging. I cannot get to the four Phillips screws coming from the engine side.

Do I have to pull the whole engine to replace the water pump cover, or is there something I can do to get access without pulling the engine?

Attachments

• WaterPump2.jpg
    WaterPump2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 470

I am trying to remember I replaced one 3 yrs ago and I think the pump is tied to the cover and the worm gear that drives it has to rotate to pull it out and is was a b$*& with the motor out but you should be able to do it if the flange on the bulkhead is not in the way.

But don't quote me my memory isn't what it used to be :-o

have you looked in the service manual link at the top of the rx section?

never done it myself and sounds like brother got lucky he did not do his when he tumbled his war at 50mph.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the flange is in the way, so it looks like I'll need to pull the engine. Thanks for guiding me to the service manual! I did not know it was there and it'll be really useful.

Well that sucks, yes you have to pull the engine out. Those phillps screws can be really in there. When I had mine apart, had to use air hammer & torch. Since is metal screw going into aluminum housing with water/coolant always around.

Back