• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

S/c charge tube question

sledhead_dan

Extreme
Still trying to sort out the surging problem. built a new charge tube with the vortech halfway between compressor and intercooler, welded the fitting for float bowls between vortech and intercooler conection. now idle is good but when throttle opens it falls flat and goes lean and will not build boost, just stutters. could the location of the float bowl fitting cause this. should it be moved back to between compressor outlet and vortech. sorry for being so long winded but I have yet to make a mile this year since installing the vortech.( see my other post, Engine Surging) :o|

got your O2 sensor yet? I think you'll find the motor goes way lean.
my vortec is sitting on the workbench for the same reason
when it was on the sled, I had 17.5 pilots, they have since been changed to 20s, but no time to reinstall the bypass - I'll let you know how it does.

:flag:

Installed 02 sensor, you were right, running lean. Moved float bowl sensing back to between compressor & vortech. Greatly improved drivability. still a bit lean with 130 mains,17.5 pilot,fs @1 3/4, needle rich on lowest clip
Afr @ Idle 14-14.8
Throttle 1/8-1/14 0 boost 17-18
1/4-1/2 3-5 lb boost 14-15
1/2-3/4 5-7 lb boost 13-13.5
Wot 10 lb boost 10-10.1
Installed 125 mains, 20 pilots, fs @ 2 turns, left needle rich, will test drive tomorrow and report. left my hks on side of intercooler to fill hole and doesn't open on idle anyway. With vortech under front frame on charge tube it's a pain to get at, but out of the way.

Test run after work today, Afr's
Warm idle 11.5-12
0 boost 17-17.5
5 lb 12.5-13
10 lb 10.5-10.8
Still goes way lean and pops when backing out of throttle afr 18 and up . Adj fuel screws to 3 turns, one turn in on vortech. Silver springs, should I change to softer springs ?? Am I playing with engine failure with the lean afr at 0 boost ?? Will be going on a family trip this wknd and will put stock hood back on with intake underhood.

Ran the sled on the trail ride this weekend. 15-20 mph at 0 boost had to keep the choke on or backfiring steady. Afr over range on Aem.Over 0 boost sled ran great. Any ideas ??????

pilots

sounds like pilot jets may be clogged. I couldnt get mine cleaned so I bought new 22.5's. That's all they said were available. I idle very rich 10.8, clips lowest (richest ) and 130's. My mid range is 12 to 12.5 and WOT 12.5 to 13. 8 pounds and 10 pounds both. Someone said they had 20 pilots, where do you get those, I need those. Minnesota, about 1000 feet. Good luck

Muskrat

Pilots jets are clean, I think lean problem is from vortech letting out boost and float bowls losing pressure. 20 pilots were local Yamaha dealer, in stock

Had mine there, problem was exact oposite, had rich stumble at 0 boost from float bowl signal still seeing pressure with bypass opening when releasing throttle & was told to mount on charge tube. :o|

Back