• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SAFE Place to Tap for Powering LEDs?

Attak-Firecat

Extreme
Where's the best, safest place to tap a wire to power a few low-draw LEDs?

I installed a switch for them on the painted panel near the key, but would rather tap into a source other than the ignition. I plan to use an automotive type of crimp-tap unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks!

I went right to the battery.... used a wireless transmitter, like for your car locks, to turn on and off.... works great.....

onlyblue said:
I went right to the battery.... used a wireless transmitter, like for your car locks, to turn on and off.... works great.....

Tell me more!! I too am about to put some leds on.

What brands did you guys use? I bought some bright-lites at the snow show. Not overly impressed with them when I got them home and hooked up to a battery.

Where are you putting them that show off nicely?

renegadeoffunk said:
onlyblue said:

Tell me more!! I too am about to put some leds on.

What brands did you guys use? I bought some bright-lites at the snow show. Not overly impressed with them when I got them home and hooked up to a battery.

Where are you putting them that show off nicely?

I ran mine under the tunnel boards, two small ones in the front inbetween the a arms, under the nose, and two in the back under the plastic above the heat shield. All blue. Electro pod strips on the sides, and small pods on the front, and back. Street Fx brand, from my Yamaha dealer (richs yamaha in lockport IL). Went straight to the battery. The pods give you a diagram, and a fuse setup. Nice and brite. I will show pictures next week, when I get her back from the shop.

I will look into my papers, see where i got the stuff... but i put a single led up by each shock top in the front, leds behind all vents, headlight kit in both headlights, and these long strips under tucked into the black trim under the footwells, this lit up the entire underside of the sled....

I will try to take some pics and post them later this week....

Well I started my project! I was supposed to take my sled in for service, oil change and spark plugs this week. I might as well do it myself now that I have the whole thing pretty much apart! One thing led to another, you know how that goes.

With the assistance of a fellow sled head we found some sweet spots to mount the LED's. After I do the maintenance it will be time to install the LED's.

Got myself a wireless transmitter and couldn't pass up some strobes! I'm gonna look like a freakin police sled! :bling

Here's a pic of the chaos I started!
1026082323yn8.jpg

Renagadeoffunk - I also picked up brite-lites at the snowshow.How did you mount the pod in the shock tower? Did you run the wiring thru a opening or did you drill hole for the wire? I have a Nytro so I"am concerned about all the take off panels and how to run the wiring without it looking like sh**

If you want to light up the headlights, just lay (tape) leds above the clear plastic headlight housing; between the black plastic dash area and the clear plastic; no drilling holes necessary. There is room there, take a look. I got power direct from the battery with a in-line fuse holder.

I used these in the head light area:

http://www.customdynamics.com/stingerz_ ... lights.htm

Have fun! ;)!

Attachments

• Night.jpg
    Night.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 115
LED

I replaced the side reflectors w/Grote LED.

They are wired to the battery with a toggle mounted above my left toe.
I've left these on for 5 hours @ 5degrees above zero at the tavern, and had no problem starting....cours I did have about 30 people yell as they walked in..."somebody left their lights on!'....these things are bright as hell, and were $10/a piece w/harness.
I ran each hot wire through clear plastic vacuum hose so rubthroughs-shorts-fires would be avoided..

I attatched a pic of the wiring for the side panels..had to get creative w/springs

Attachments

• 100_4057.jpg
    100_4057.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_4054.jpg
    100_4054.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_4053.jpg
    100_4053.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_4051.jpg
    100_4051.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 117
Eagle1 said:
Renagadeoffunk - I also picked up brite-lites at the snowshow.How did you mount the pod in the shock tower? Did you run the wiring thru a opening or did you drill hole for the wire? I have a Nytro so I"am concerned about all the take off panels and how to run the wiring without it looking like sh**

Hey I have yet to mount the pod in the shock tower. Or for that matter any on the front. On my apex there is an existing hole on the aluminum. I will probably use that. I took tonight off working in the garage after being up late the past 2 nights.

Changed my oil/oil filter and spark plugs last night. Then Mounted 4 pods in the rear of the sled inside the tail light area. It lights up the tail light awesome and reflects nicely on the snow flap and ground. The pic does not do it justice. It is gonna look hot on snow in the dark. Plus 2 strobes which are the bluish white lights.

1027082200bz5.jpg

question- I'am wiring my lights from the battery is 12gauge big enough? or can I go smaller and use 18 gauge?
also what size is the battery post?
have to run to the store tomorrow pick up parts.

Eagle1 said:
question- I'am wiring my lights from the battery is 12gauge big enough? or can I go smaller and use 18 gauge?

I used 12 gauge on mine under the hood, and jumped the strips together under the foot boards.

Eagle1 said:

LED's don't pull a lot of voltage, but I think 18g is a little light and harder to work with. I went with 16g and have not had issues over 2 seasons and 4,000 miles.

actually used wire from a 500' roll that came with my in-ground dog fence.....20 guage, high quality copper.
LED's dont draw enuff amperage to worry about anything....

Back