• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Scarey sound coming from my skid ?

msardo

Veteran
At the end of our ride as the sled was coasting on perfectly flat snow almost ice I heard a grinding type noise coming from what appears to be the rear track wheels. I inspected everything and noticed nothing out of ordinary. Ofcourse, there was ice build up all along the skid. Sled rolls very easily. Suspension looks good and everything appears to be correctly aligned. I've heard this sound before at the end of a ride and than it disappears. My gut is the track is rubbing on some ice build up. I'm just not 100% sure is there any known issues associated with the skid?

Yeah I think your sled just gave birth to a large ice chunk. It's sounds like crap when they drop and grind under there. Just put it reverse and your all good.

Yeah sounds familiar. If you see a Nytro owner pulled over on the side of the trail looking at his skid (usually after an approach) then watch out for the massive chuck of ice you are about to run over.

Before I blocked my tunnel off I had a few that felt like a broke my drive shaft.

msardo said:
At the end of our ride as the sled was coasting on perfectly flat snow almost ice I heard a grinding type noise coming from what appears to be the rear track wheels. I inspected everything and noticed nothing out of ordinary. Ofcourse, there was ice build up all along the skid. Sled rolls very easily. Suspension looks good and everything appears to be correctly aligned. I've heard this sound before at the end of a ride and than it disappears. My gut is the track is rubbing on some ice build up. I'm just not 100% sure is there any known issues associated with the skid?

Happened to me at the end of a 660 Foot run in front of 120 people. Won the race and no parts were left on track.. WIN WIN,,,

yep, happened to me 3 times last week up around Munising, backed up and crapped a bowling ball each time. put er in forward and on yer way.

:yam: I am going to agree with pasts post. Ice build up. I carry a small hammer with me and on a 200+ mile ride (300 kms), starting with a clean tunnel, I will knock of excess build up at least once. When a big chunk lets go while riding, it can scare the "bejesus" out of you. Depending on the outside temp and the conditions your riding in, the build up and the density of the ice will vary. Sometimes it's soft and mushy, sometimes it's rock hard chunks. If you let it sit outside after a day of riding, you definitely should be knocking all of the build up off before you head out. The one area some people miss is the top side of the track, forward towards the front. It builds slowly up there but it becomes "Rock hard" and bonds to the tunnel firmly. It sucks having to lay down in the snow to be able to see and get at it, but that's what you have to do. It only takes a few seconds to get it off, but if left there, as you ride along, you will inevitably start to hear some noise. One time as an experiment, I weighed the ice I knocked off, after 2, five gallon pails, semi full on the scale, it weighed 62 pounds. The XTX's can really hold a lot of ice, mainly because of the length of the tunnel and all the spots it tends to cling to.

Best thing I ever did was remove my tunnel protectors and block off the hole around the exhaust. No more build up!

I usually kick my tunnel and running boards every time I stop.
Seems to help keep the ice to a minimum.

I made a 3 ft long ice remover out if 3/4" steel pipe. I put a tee nipple on one end and added 2" pipe fittings on the ends of the tee. One of the 2" fittings I cut a pick shape to it. Works good to remove the ice in the mornings before the ride.

As the two stroke guys are adding oil I am chipping ice away. No biggy.

My scary sounds came more from the limiter straps trying to roll over the top cross shaft. (XTX issue)

sorenson1610 said:
Yeah I think your sled just gave birth to a large ice chunk. It's sounds like crap when they drop and grind under there. Just put it reverse and your all good.

Haha great way to put it! Yeaa its a nasty noise but it happens quite a bit

Thx for the replies. I've definelty had a chunk let loose and it sounds like my axel ripped off. This is more of a track rubbing sound. When i luck at the skid i don't really see where it is rubbing? From the previous posts sounds like it must be caused by the ice build up and i'm just not seeing it. I'm not gonna obsess about it anymore

Back