• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

secondary clutch spring location

I moved the helix around while I was installing it so I will have to try to twist it. I noticed my belt is sitting too low in the secondary clutch I am sure that this is why the belt is slipping so I hope twisting the spring will fix the clutch which will fix the belt which will make me stop puling my hair out.

needspd said:
I moved the helix around while I was installing it so I will have to try to twist it. I noticed my belt is sitting too low in the secondary clutch I am sure that this is why the belt is slipping so I hope twisting the spring will fix the clutch which will fix the belt which will make me stop puling my hair out.

I'll be willing to bet it will. Like I said; the spring causes the buttons on your moving sheeve to press against the ramps on the helix. If you just stuck the spring in the holes and put the shockwave with out twisting it clockwise there isn't ample tenssion on the spring to for the buttons on the movable sheeve tight against the helix. I can't recall how far you need to turn it but, if you turn the whole helix assembly clockwise until you feel slight pessure against the spring; the holes on the helix should be between studs. You then need to keep going clockwise applying more tension to the spring until you can get it to slide over the next set of studs which should put quite a bit of tension on the spring.

When dis-assembling your secondary; you shouldn't be able to remove the helix assembly off the studs easily since the proper tension from the spring will force it counter clockwise against them.

Note; I found it is a little easier if you push in on the helix assembly while twisting to put tension on the spring. You might be able to do it quicker than me if you have a second set of hands to keep the movable sheeve from turning or sliding away from you as you push and turn the helix. Also, you dont need to get the helix fully seated; just enough to get the nuts on the studs then tighten and torque the nuts to specs.

Jim

I already told the wife she is going to be learning some clutching today (2nd pair of hands) now I cant wait to ride again and see how this helix is going to work thanks everyone for your help!

needspd said:
I already told the wife she is going to be learning some clutching today (2nd pair of hands) now I cant wait to ride again and see how this helix is going to work thanks everyone for your help!

Good to hear your wife is willing to assist. My wife has some super charger install experience but hasn't had any schooling on cluthing yet.

Post the results once you get a test ride in after re-assembly.

Jim

Edited for grammar :o|

Jim

needspd said:
I hope by Sunday I will have the info posted, if everything works out as planned.

Did you get to test the sled after re wrapping the secondary spring? If so how did it do?

Jim

No I didn't get a chance, there isn't much snow and where there is snow I already rode until I was bored to death( pretty small area) I have been waiting for at least one good storm before I go out again. But I do have to say it looks and feels like it should work now,(the secondary clutch) everything is tight and fits together better than before. I hope by this Sunday to be able to go out again but hard to say.

LoneViper said:
Just want to interupt here for a second, I found it to be a little easier to twist the helix with the secondary on the sled.

You mean it can be done with it off? I'd hate to shake your hand when meeting you. You must have gorilla grip in them hands of yours. I have enough trouble with it on the sled to even fathom doing it on a bench.

Jim

I had the Vector apart the other day and had a real problem with reassembly on the bench, I thought to myself, I used to do the Viper all the time with it on the machine. The mind works in strange ways.

I finally got the sled out Sunday and the helix finally worked the belt easn't slipping and I didn't have to screw the helix in all the way Thanks a ton for your Now I need to find new a arms and spindle housing for the right side thanks to a nice chunk of solid snow hiding in the powder so if you know of any please pm to let me know and thanks again.

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the accident. Bent mine up bad last season and hit a few rocks last weekend.

What setting did you end up doing?

I am at 6 and 2 but I think I will mess around with it now that it working right. I am determined to get the most out of the motor that I can without directly messing with the engine. I have a three year warranty and I am trying to stay away from voiding the warranty on the engine the rest I dont care about.

Back